Neurology Community
ulcerative colitis

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

ulcerative colitis

My wife aged 38 years is suffering from Ulcerative colitis since 2 years.
Is there a cure for this disease? The symtoms (symptoms) are motions with mucus and drops of blood 3-4 times a day.
Her Hb count has also came down to 7. She is weak feels tired.

Can I get any suggestions on this?
Tags: Colitis
     Thanks for writing in. Ulcerative colitis is an idiopathic inflammatory condition that involves the mucosal surface of the colon, resulting in diffuse friability and erosions with bleeding.
The treatment of acute UC is dependent upon the extent of colonic involvement and the severity of illness. The goal of the treatment should be targeted against termination of an acute, symptomatic attack and to prevent recurrence of attacks.
Is your wife on treatment? If yes with what ? The standard drugs for the management of acute phase of  this condition are sulfasalazine, mesalamine suppository, if not controlled topical corticosteroids can be employed. If the condition does not improve then a short course of steroids can be used , weighing the advanatages and disadvantages of this therapy. Cyclosporine can also be considered at this stage of therapy.
If there is no improvement then surgical therapy would be required to prevent perforation and toxic megacolon.
Prophylactic therapy is done with sulfasalazine and mesalamine.
Best.