Neurology Expert Forum
ulnar/median neuropathy, emng/mri negative

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hi, for the past 2 months I've been having definitve nerve problems (pain and parasthesia) in my right arm, suggesting ulnar and median nerve neuropathy, most likely at the elbow. I'm 20 years old, and have come to a self-conclusion that problems are due to too much comp use, chronicly poor posture and lack of physical activity the past 2 years, although I've just had a bunch of tests done, but they don't suggest any nerve damage as follows:

EMNG on arms showed medium neurogenic changes at C7-TH1 right and lesser changes at C8(sic?)-TH1 left. Neurographic and relfex tests are ok on tested nerves, including plurisegmental neurography on right ulnar nerve. F-wave ok, symmetrical on right-left. Sensory response on right ulnar nerve ok. Suggested MRI of cervical spine.

MRI of brain showed only that I have a sever sinus infection (wierd considering no headaches). MRI of spine says mostly ok, some degeneration at C5-6. C7 vertebrae is ok. No sign of dimyliation in brain matter. No signs of disc herniation or compression of medula spinalis or nerve roots.

Ultrasound of right elbow and arm fine, some mild sclerosis on right shoulderblade.

What should I do next? My main symptom now is I sometimes I have some pain on either side of my wrists and sometimes elbow pain. about 50 days ago I had my right arm in a long splint for 10 days, still don't have complete ROM. Thing is, when I try to extend my right arm all the way, I get a sharp pain in the space between the end of ulnar bone and the lateral epyicondyle. This is also the spot where I had for several weeks a persistant pain, like hitting my funny bone, and aggravated when i touched it (now it's ok except when I try to extend my arm all the way). The thing is, this is not to my knowledge where the cubital tunnel is (c.t. is between the ulnar bone and MEDIAL epicondyle AFAIK). Also, most rarely is the feeling that my elbows and finger joints are squeeking when they move.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Ulnar neuropathy classically presents with sensation on the medial fingers (pinky and half of the ring finger) and medial aspect of palm. This nerve is also known as your “funny bone” when tapped or hit. It has several sites of compression along its course – one site being at the elbow. Classically, it may be a truck driver who rests elbow on window/door. It should also be mentioned that with rapid weight gain or weight loss, the ulnar nerve or median nerve (which causes carpal tunnel syndrome) can be compressed and cause their neuropathies.  Neuropathies can be caused by many mechanisms including microtrauma (overuse), hypothyroidism, weight changes, amyloidsosis, and diabetes, to name a few.

It is not clear that you have an ulnar neuropathy, especially with the testing you have already had.

If you have not already done so, imaging of your elbow would be helpful. You may need to see an orthopedic specialist or a pain specialist.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.