Neurology Community
ulnar nerve damage from cannula

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

ulnar nerve damage from cannula

is recovery possible with severe ulnar damage while getting a drip inserted in my right hand?  the anaesthetic really
burned when it was administered prior to nerve blocks at C7-T1.  my right hand was very sore and extremely swollen immediately after the procedure.  my pain doctor had me take large doses of prednison (medpacs) and soak the hand in cold water and ice.  the hand never got better and i spent a year in therapy and had much nerve testing which showed a diminishing nerve function.  my hand is now deformed and has lost much of the muscle next to the thumb, and the hand is curling up.  i have little function of the last 2 fingers plus wrist pain and also numbness throughout my right arm.  the pain doctor has denied he caused this injury and i just now found out it may have been caused by the needle insertion or the anaesetic prior to the epideral.. it is now 2 and 1/2 years later and my orthopaedics have said that they can't help me.  prior to now 2 doctors have thought is was caused by the insertion of needles damaging the ulnar nerve at the vertebraes C7 T1`
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello dear and welcome to the medhelp forum. The prognosis or outlook depends on the damage, when either the nerve covering or myelin sheath is destroyed or part of the nerve or axon is damaged, technically called neuropraxia and neuronotmesis or axonotmesis respectively. The degree of initial damage decides the recovery. Since you have sensory and motor deficit even after 2.5 years of injury, the prognosis is guarded. Consult a physiotherapist for occupational therapy and physical therapy. A supportive splint at either the wrist or elbow could also help. I would still suggest that you consult a neurologist for best advice. Best wishes.
THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION.  I PRETTY MUCH HAVE ACCEPTED WHAT HAS OCCURED.  I TRIED ALL OF WHAT YOU NOTED FOR THE 1ST YEAR WITH NUEROLOGICAL TESTING AND PHYSICAL THERAPY.  YET THE USE AND PHYSICAL DEFORMITY
CONTINUED.  I STILL DO DAILY THERAPY AT HOME REGULARLY
BUT IT DOESN'T GET BETTER.  I HAVE YET TO FIND A PHYSICIAN WHO WILL GIVE ME HOPE AS THEY ALL SAY IT CAN'T BE DONE.
I HAD NEUROLOGICAL TESTING AND AN MRI DONE ALL IN THE FIRST WEEK.  THE MRI JUST SHOWED THE DISK DEGENERATION OF MY CERVICAL VERTIBRAE AND THE NERVE TESTING SHOWED A LOSS
OF SIGNALS AND I WAS TOLD IT COULD NOT BE FIXED.  I WAS ALSO TOLD TO EXERCISE MY HAND AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE. I ALSO HAD
NEW TESTING DONE THIS LAST NOVEMBER AND IT SHOWED I HAD
INCREASED NERVE DEGENERATION.  ANYHOW, THANK YOU FOR THE ADVICE.