ulnar nerve relocation
I recently had ulnar nerve relocation surgery.  All in all it is quite successful; however, my right hand atrophied significantly.  The muscle between my thumb abd forefinger is very degenerated and the area between my ring and small finger on the top of my hand, is also depressed.  The surgery was 21 days ago.  Is there some time period when the hand will return to normal...a formula like for every 42 mm from the damge is an expected month for recovery?  My hand squeezing strength is getting quite good but there is still numbness in the small finger and weakness in lateral movement of the fingers, especially during "silly putty" therapy.

Thank you

This discussion is related to ulnar nerve repositioning surgery recovery.
hi wildman,
yes, if happens sometimes. Muscle atrophy can occur following nerve transposition.
Why was it done?  as sometimes your atrophy might be related to pre operative condition.
It takes a bit longer for a person to notice the atrophy. So maybe, the atrophy had started before the surgery and you have noticed it now as after surgery you have found some time , for yourself, to notice it. I might be right.

regards
Hi wildman,

I had this surgery over 2 years ago now and have to be honest it has taken this long to get back to almost normal, from the beginning I was glad that the pain was gone, but the side of my hand and my 4th and 5th fingers are still slightly numb and always will be I think, as is my elbow too. From an atrophy point of view this was much improved in a matter of months, but I think that my grip will never be the same. I know I might sound a bit negative, but I'm not I am glad I had the surgery. Hope your recovery is quick, good luck.