Neurology Community
ulnar nerve relocation
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

ulnar nerve relocation

I recently had ulnar nerve relocation surgery.  All in all it is quite successful; however, my right hand atrophied significantly.  The muscle between my thumb abd forefinger is very degenerated and the area between my ring and small finger on the top of my hand, is also depressed.  The surgery was 21 days ago.  Is there some time period when the hand will return to normal...a formula like for every 42 mm from the damge is an expected month for recovery?  My hand squeezing strength is getting quite good but there is still numbness in the small finger and weakness in lateral movement of the fingers, especially during "silly putty" therapy.

Thank you

This discussion is related to ulnar nerve repositioning surgery recovery.
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
hi wildman,
yes, if happens sometimes. Muscle atrophy can occur following nerve transposition.
Why was it done?  as sometimes your atrophy might be related to pre operative condition.
It takes a bit longer for a person to notice the atrophy. So maybe, the atrophy had started before the surgery and you have noticed it now as after surgery you have found some time , for yourself, to notice it. I might be right.

regards
Blank
Hi wildman,

I had this surgery over 2 years ago now and have to be honest it has taken this long to get back to almost normal, from the beginning I was glad that the pain was gone, but the side of my hand and my 4th and 5th fingers are still slightly numb and always will be I think, as is my elbow too. From an atrophy point of view this was much improved in a matter of months, but I think that my grip will never be the same. I know I might sound a bit negative, but I'm not I am glad I had the surgery. Hope your recovery is quick, good luck.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Neurology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank