Neurology Community
uncontrollable imagination or daydreaming / extreme or instense daydrea...

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

uncontrollable imagination or daydreaming / extreme or instense daydreaming

Since 5th grade (I am in 11th grade now) I have had a very powerful imagination but the problem is it has become almost uncontrollable. Since the 10th grade i have been unconsciously falling into deep & powerful day dreams that my body would (unawaringly to me) twitch or suddenly move in response to the stimulation in my head. My imagination had me dreaming all types of different worlds & creating storylines. The pro of this was evident in my school work; i was able to come up with intelligent answers & construct captivating essays. Kids in my class have noticed the blank look on my face during lessons & the unusual body jerking. Resulting in me being watched by a number of wary kids during classes & others calling me a "freak" behind my back. Can some1 please tell me whats wrong with me? I'm left handed, good at drawing & love trance music as i find it euphoric. This fantasy world iv created is addictive. the jerks are casued by stimulation in my head. so like if i imgained someone throw a quick right my left arm wud sortof twitch cuz in my head id be imagining myself blocking it.
yea so im not nacroleptic, epileptic or got any sleeping disorders. i have done extensive research on this and havent found anything that matches, i do not have adhd or add. i have however found a few others that are facing this same predicament. all of us do not know what this is and want some answers.
Hi there.

Each person is really quite unique.  I believe that you have a very dominant right side of the brain, the part which is responsible for artistic and idealistic expressions.  There may be no anatomic abnormality with this situation, but the most important thing for you to hurdle will be the social implications.  Left-brain- dominant people (which comprises most of the population) may have a hard time understanding artists or the right-dominant person.  You may benefit from some counseling and social support among peers.  However, I suggest that you still consult with a neurologist first just to make sure that there is nothing structurally or anatomically wrong.

Regards and God bless.
I appriciate  the compassion for the indeviduals that you answer but mostly I am happy that you keep God in the reply. I've posted a concern and would greatly apreciate your advise.
Thank-You and God Bless
I don't like the term narcolepsy. That brings the image of one who flops asleep randomly.  However, I have watched programs on it. I have read about it.  'there are certain characteristics of narcolpesy that I have. I don't have most of them. Some I have ina mild form. I get vivid technicolor nightmares and wake up screaming.  I go to sleep and get scared awake screaming immedicately.  I could sleep 14 hours and still yawn all day and take a nap. It is all I can do to stay awake driving.  I so want to close my eyes and have done it the urge is so strong, while driving or stopped at an intersection.  I yawn so much, that as a counselor, I cant hear what the clients are saying.  My sleep studies looked fine, but I don't sleep well except a home. And witha gooey harness and a guy watching my every move, it was a wonder I ever slept a wink. I also have problems with speech...I can have the sentence in my brain and only get a couple of random words out, with great difficulty I pause in sentences because there gets to be sort of a log jam and I just cant get words out.

I have come to accept that the insurance company needs the diagnosis of narcolepsy to justify me taking my alertness medication.  I would say that on a scale of 1 to 10, ten being severe classic narcolepsy, I might be a 2 ot 3. Very very mild case.
But, medication helps me be function.  I can drive without fighting to stay awake. I don't nap at stop signs. I stay alert for my client sessions. My speech fluidity is much improved. I don't have, I don't have any of those weird nightmares and I don't get scared awake.
The medication has enabled me to function on a nearly normal level.
You say you like the episodes.  I am bipolar. Being manic can be great, like natural amphetamines for days, or weeks....I get things done, feel great   Taking medication I thought would cause that to go away. No. I simply have less intense manic episodes and through counsleing can see them coming on and adjust my schedule accordingly soe  I get use out of the excess energyh.
Medications may not completely eradicate your episodes, but they may enable you to drive and have a job. If yiou don't like the meiation, just ask the doctor if you can just stop i, or you ghave o taper oof idt.
You don't sound like you fit exactly into a diagnosis, like I don't either.  However, your symptoms are some I have learned about.  Since what you experince isn't voluntary, I would say it is fairly certain you have a sleep disorder.  (I have a sleep disorder even though it is in the daytime that I have problems.) Try doing your research again from a different perspective.  Look at all the sleep disorders.  Pick out your symptoms from the different disorders. And I think you will find them all, if you look at all the disorders.  Pair the symptom with the disorder aand what treatments are available for each one.  i bet that you will find that a certain treatment, therapy, or medication will help you.  Remember, medications are there to enable you to function better.  They probably won't completely eradicate the symptoms you like.  When you get out into the real world and have to work and oh my god drive....imaging zoning out driving~~~you will be dead or kill someone.  It is a miracle I never got into an accident.  

left brain right brain....I think I am mostly right brain, but would have to say I am mixed dominant.  In some sports, I am a left dominant.  I taught myself to write, to draw and to do just about anything with either hand.  

Post back so we know how you progress.
bugbarb i appreciate ur lonnng response however i defiently do not have any typeof sleeping dosorder. i even find it hard trying to fall asleeep as sometimes i wud just lie lost in my captivating imagination going over different scenarios in my head.

im not dreaming as in when you dream when you sleep i mean day dreaming as in imagining things in your head.

i certainly do not feel tired all the time and do not find it difficult to drive without falling asleep!

i dont know why you think i have what you have after readign my post.
Hey, it's so weird because I'm like that too! I thought I was the only one like that. I'm 18 now and this has been happening since I was 10. I know this is more than a year late, but I do hope someone is still following this.

So, I was a very sheltered kid growing up, I wasnt allowed going for sleepovers, wasn't allowed going to other kids houses to play and I was only allowed to be friends with people my mom thought were good because she was friends with their parents, but I didn't like them because I didn't think they were cool. Haha.

So my parents divorced before I turned a year old, and he never visited me or anything. Now it's not dreaming when your asleep but imagining things in your head when your awake. It wasn't so bad at first, I was young so this was normal, I would pretend I was in some imaginary place and I could be whoever I wanted to be. I had a dad and lots of friends and I was really happy. I'd take characters out of books and tv shows and tweak them around alittle bit so they would somehow fit into my "life", and turn them into my friends, family members, or boyfriend.:P

Sorry this is getting long. It's just so hard to explain. But since, I wasn't allowed to really expand my friendships with kids I met at school because I couldn't do anything with them, I sort of just imagined we were really good friends but then in real life as we got older, we grew apart. They found their cliques and I was just following them around. I hated that, being like a sheep and not really being invited into conversations or parties. I felt like a total nobody. I'm not blaming my mom or anything, just so you know. She was just a paraniod mother. lol
I started to get depressed because I didn't have any friends and it was a small town so it was kinda hard to make new friends since everyone KNOWS everyone. I was self-concious and I still am, although I really have no reason to be.

So when I was 16, I moved to a slighty bigger place, and I did make friends, but it was still sort of the same. I wasn't truly clicking with any of them. I went to a doctor thinking, hmm, maybe I'm depressed. She said I just need to immerse myself in extra-curricular activities and do things I enjoy. It has helped. I wasn't sad anymore, I made lots of friends who didn't judge me. But I still find myself going back into my head, thinking things. I still dream of having a dad, my dream guy and best friends. It makes me sad that that still hasn't happened. This sounds soo crazy. I hope someone understands.

Last week I tried going "cold turkey" on my daydreaming - I was so addicted to it. It was like my safe haven. It worked for a little while but then I started doing it again, I couldn't help it.

okay, i have to go to work now haha, someone please respond or something. Sorry to bore you with my looong problem. but it would really help to know that I'm not just some crazy girl that's the only one with this addiction.

Thanks:)
Its so good to know that I'm not the only one... Hell, I was day dreaming just 5 minutes ago (before I googled this) and borderline acting out the dream in my head until you realize what you're doing and quickly look up to see if anyones looking at you... Although I'm in my room with the door shut

I get this a decent amount... I think its just the minds way of making up for certain deficiencies in your life like lack of social interaction and loneliness. I wouldn't say its uncontrollable in my case but it is definitely intense. Being quite an introspective introvert doesn't help

Oh well?
I just coincedently dropped by this webside because I was googling imagination and neurology.

It sounds imo like you could be on your way at developing a schizotypal condition or something close to that. It's usually characterized as a execessive dreaming/strong imaginative version of schizophrenia but mostly with a high degree of reality checking (schizophrenics normally lack this ability).

Contact a authorized psychiatrist immediately, as this disorder often can result in full-blown schizophrenia or something in the proximity of those kind of disorders.

Hope it help
Dennis L.
schizotypal?? that's sounds scary...
i tried telling my doctor and when i was in high school, my councellor about my daydreaming. then i went to a youth councellor once and told her about it and they ALL gave me the same look- they don't judge outwardly, but i could see it in their eyes-the wow, she's weird kind of look. i was too embarrassed to go back for another session. i tried going cold turkey again but it's so hard. i feel like i'm so close to these characters in my head. like my family and by cutting back on daydreaming would be like losing them. but it really helps me artisticly lol and if i have a problem, i would pretend "they" were there comforting me. but i notice that i can't feel anything. like real emotions. if i'm sad, i'd cry for a second but then i just stop. or something is funny and i laugh but i'm not really feeling it...
I think I day dream more than the average person.  Then again, my imagination is off the charts.  With ADD (self-diagnosed) and my extraordinary imagination, I day dream in the middle of doing EVERYTHING.
I thought that not many people have this problem but it seems like many do. I have daydreamed and had extreme fantasy problems since I can remember being conscious on this earth. So for 17 years basically, since I'm 17 years old. I have always daydreamed, sometimes stories of my success and others seeing me and accepting me and sometimes stories of other people, like dreaming the stories of people I idolize in my life, wondering where they came from, how they fell in love with their current husband or wife. And it really is a condition that can make you feel like a freak. I don't know what our condition is, but maybe it's going to be okay. Maybe it's our way of creating the things we never got. While other people go out there and take action to make up for defencies, we dream stories that create the emotions we want to feel and save our actions for when we feel it's neccessary. I'm not sure. I actually googed "extreme daydreaming" just now, because I feel so lost about the whole thing. But sometimes it's just nice to know you're not alone. So I'm here to tell you, I know how you feel, and you're not alone. Maybe there is nothing wrong with you physcologically, maybe you just handle your life and your issues in a different way than most. And maybe you can take the things about your daydreams that you like, and weave them into your life so there will come a day when you can look at your life and say, "Wow, my life is so good. I haven't even daydreamed in years." Even though I don't know you, I hope you find that happiness. From one daydreamer to another, good luck on dealing with the imagination thing. I hope what someone said helps you at least a little bit.
I am a 31 yr old male. Suffered from Depression off and on most off my life and although I get by and have a lot of good friends now, I still day dream excessively: The day dreams are controllable, I seem to play out certain fantasies in my head regularly. I will twitch and jump around my room, when I was younger i used to make sounds too, but have stopped so as no one can hear me. Its a very strange thing too watch me I suppose like I'm having a fit. As a child I would often feel the compulsion to go somewhere and dream. Running around my room making sounds but being totally in my head. My mother knew about it but i suppose she thought it was just silly behaviour i would grow out of, so did i. And yet here i am. I've tried to research this and it seems to me that there has been very little done because no one really talks about it. Researchers have found it hard to find a pool of people large enough to to represent any condition. Although their is a consensus that something like this exists.

I can control and choose when to day dream, however I find that pretty much most of the time I'm in some state of day-dreamyness. My concentration is poor and even though I'm intelligent and thoughtful i find it hard to do simple mundane tasks, I mean very hard, it's embarrassing and I am often held back a little from my potential. This leads to disappointment and depression.

My farther was an alcoholic, my mother; anxious. They divorced when I was six and I remember being depressed then but I believe the dreaming  started much earlier. There was something about it that s exciting and fun, but also I think that I'm running away somehow. Some sort of denial, it bring's me peace and I feel at home and in control. I often play out scenarios that are to do with self esteem and sometimes being loved, although I know that I am by many friends. There's something I think that I missed from my childhood and will never get back that plagues me. I don't think iv'e ever really grown up, feel as though I'm an outsider to everyone else, to the world.

I have never been able to explain what I do. I know there's something unhealthy about it even though it has positives like, as you say, being able to dream up fantastical worlds and ideas (studied philosophy and film) It distracts me from living my life. I know i can achieve so much and yet I fail a lot and my dream world seems to always be there to save/tempt me away from the realities of life.

Please someone somewhere research this. We need answers.

I go through this too, though I am right handed, and thus left-brained. I find myself feeling things that are very extreme in my imagination and sometimes I wonder if it's too realistic. I'm not suffering from it or anything, I actually quite enoy this. It doens't have an effect on my school work, or any such thing, other than I am highly creative. It doesn't distract me in school, and is beneficial to my essays and answers. I'm in tenth grade, and so we have a lot of creative work to do. I find that I can feel things as if they were happening to me at that moment. Like, for instance, there's this boy I like, and if I want, I can feel his arm against mine, or hear his voice, no matter what I'm doing. In my dreams, I also find that they are very realistic, just like a real event. It's sort of depressing sometimes though, because I don't want ot wake up from the dreams. I don't have another world, per say, but I do go to other made up places in my head. I love it though, and I'm glad there's someone else out there like me.
I do the same thing except when im daydreaming of something flying twards me or falling I jump up really fast like something is coming after me. I am 12 and in 6th grade. I have always been labeled daydreamer but my daydreams lately have been scary.
You need an HbA1c test. And to take blood sugar levels. Curiously, abnormal blood sugar levels often produce quite pleasureable halucinations amongst a portion of the population with a genetic predisposition. I like to call them "sugar people". It's sort of like being in the Matrix. This doesn't mean you have diabetes. If you note mystics often produce such "dreams" by fasting.
hello--
I'm a 25 year old female and your post reminded me much of myself.  I started imagining a different existense for myself when I was around 7 years old.  Usually while I was swinging or running around in circles in our up-stairs living room.  I didn't have very many friends  and children often rejected me.  So I created a world in my head where I had a lot of friends and I looked different and had different parents.  My story-line would often change.  I would always feel better after my "daydreaming" episode was over.  Maybe it releases some type of addictive endorphines.  Today I still do it.  I wish I could stop.  I feel like a moron and don't really understand why I still do it.  Usually, I will turn up the music really loud and run and jump around my room, Imaging something I wish I would have done or said or my life with a different occupation or different life-style.  If anyone knows what kind of disorder this is I would love to know.
wow, so glad I found this.  This wasn't an easy thing to find googling... I thought I was pretty much the only one who had extreme/excessive daydreams.  My mom always thought i would grow out of it, since i started around 5yrs old.  I daydream and move my hands while twitching my fingers.  If I'm really bored I can do it without moving, but its a lot easier to get a detailed daydream with movement.  I also have to have my face close to something for some reason.  Like the top of a tall dresser, where I can look down upon it.  I'm 25 now, and I still do it a lot.  Its very hard to explain to other so I don't.  I have a wife and 3 yr old daughter, which I don't do it around.  I have also lied to my parents and siblings, that I no longer do it.  I've also tried to stop cold turkey, but its just part of me.  I now embrace it, I find it a unique part of me, I just wish I could open up about it to my family.  Its like another world, I imagine things I wish I had, wish I could be... when I was young I thought about things important to a kid, like being the all-star quarterback and winning a super bowl.  Now I imagine being very successful in business and having a nice house and such... I don't look at it as any type of disease.  I've been seen by a neurologist for seizures I had when I was younger.  Everything checks out fine.  I also have trouble sleeping as well... if I have a desire to act out a fantasy.. or I concentrate on something too much.  I am so thankful to know other people do this, I am also interested by the fact in the many different ways we imagine.  
It is nice to know that I am not alone. I have the same thing, some call it a problem, some call it a blessing, I think of it as both. I have been like this since i was in 5th grade, these powerful daydreams are something I love to be lost in. It is peaceful, most of the time, and usually I will have control over them so I can use it as a sanctuary. I am in 9th grade now and I was so excited when i found these posts. It is good to know that there are people who are like me. I think the hardest part of being like this is not being able to explain it to your family or friends and to have them be understanding about it, and get it. I tried that...and my mother took me to a psychiatric hospital because my brother has had a troubled past, but he is not the topic lol, I returned from the hospital place unchanged and very upset with my mother, its been 5months since that happened, we barely speak anymore.   i ramble too much ><  msg me if ne1 jst wants to talk.
Well, im 34 now and feel that I will always do "this".  I always considered it my imagination lashing out.  I don't see real images but what I considered intense thoughts, usually something that is kind of like star wars.  Just ships flying and shooting which i emulate with my hands and blink a lot (to simulate explosions).  But there is an overwhelming urge to act out the scenarios.  When I was younger, actually even now, I will find spots that I know no one can see me and enact these thoughts.  One time I got busted by my mother and she didn't know what I was doing.  She said it was neat to watch me.  I was so embarrased.  Now that I am older, I find it strange that I still do "this".  But, I find that these 'episodes' are more intense than sex or drugs.  Interestingly, after the 'episodes' I feel better and relieved.  But doing 'this' makes me feel that I have some sort of mental disorder.  And I am much to embarrassed to tell anyone or ever admit that I do 'this'.  However, I work as a chemist and I believe that my intense imagination has help me through a many classes and perhaps understand people better--almost like cheating.  Then again, I still wish I didn't do 'this'.  Its something that I can never share with anyone else but me.  
I was just googling this because my friend caught me doing it the other day. I had no idea so many other people did this. I have never thought about it as anything negative or positive though it is embarrasing if someone is watching you. My hands usually get tense and move around and i blink and have a look on my face. Usually the daydreams are about action scenes/ being a rockstar/ Doing something i always wanted to do. Shooting and explosions are a big thing. I usually seem to drift into it when im bored or watching an intense movie or listening to music. When i snap out of it im worried someone saw me and I have no explanation for it.
I have the same exact problem. I daydream constantly and my fingers will twitch around my face, giving me small cuts. I stopped doing when people are around so I just hold it in until I go to the bathroom. Most of my daydreams are conversations.
have you considered ADD by chance? the predominately inattentive type usually involves a lot of "daydreaminess" - my own experience when I was younger was that I'd be walking around then suddenly I'd start day dreaming about being a power ranger or something, sometimes making  movements and noises to go along with it imagining I was "battling" and stuff, but it was pretty chronic in that I had no control over it a good part of the time even after it was brought to my attention I'd suddenly fall right back into it. other symptoms include lethargy and generally low energy, sometimes drowsiness like seen in narcolepsy. here's some infos:

http://www.healing-arts.org/children/ADHD/#ADD
http://www.healing-arts.org/children/ADHD/#Additional
That was one example of my daydreaming, other examples I had were of imagining myself conversing with people and going over situations and work in my head, just getting involved in really deep thought...
I think we should start a group on facebook, seriously.  I thought I was the only person too with this daydreaming.  I thought I was the most unique person in the world and I could never understand why I was doing it.  I started the daydreaming when I was 5 years old and I've been doing it since.  For me I have to grab a peace of string and start twitching it with my fingers.  When I was a kid I did it in m bedroom and many times I got caught by my siblings and my mother.  They would ask me about it but I was too embarrased to talk about it.  I lied to my family too and they thought I left that habit.  I only do it in privacy and normally that is in the bathroom.  I can spend like an hour in the bathroom daydreaming.

I am 29 years old and I am doing this on a regular basis because it is very addictive.  I even do it at work, I will go to the mens bathroom and do it there in privacy.  When I was child I would imagine being a super hero or being a singer or something like that.  Now I often think about being a professional soccer coach, helping Colombia win their first world cup.  I also love pollitics and I imagine being a politician and being someone like John F. Kennedy and just helping people.  

When I watch movies I often daydreaming being the character of the movie.  For example, if I watch Brave Heart I would imagine being Mil Gibson and fighting against the English with my sword.  If I watch Bourne identity I imagine being Matt Damon, it's crazy.  I mean I really feel like I am actually living it I zone out completely.  I normally stare at the floor when I am doing it.  Mainly because I am sitting on the toilet when I do it.

I am married with children and I have this hidden thing about myself that nobody knows about.  I tried googling it too and never could find information until now.  I feel a lot better knowing that I am not the only one.  I don't know how you guys feel but it makes me feel so good when I have these daydreams, it's almost like a drug.  If anyone has a medical explanation for this I would definately like to know myself.
It's so weird, I do something similar too... I'm 16, and ever since I was little, I'd daydream and get lost into my imagination.  I'd run back and forth as a child, placing myself into a scenario, usually an actiony-cartoon when I was real little. My mom and grandma called it my "retarded act." but the thing is, I still have the same problem, except it's like... adapted.  
I don't run back and forth now, I jump up and down, sometimes tossing things until I'm brought back from these "phases" or I drop the tossed item - sometimes both. The main problem about the tossing is that it's whatever I see to toss, is what's tossed. I've had styrofoam fall in my eye, nearly jab my eye out with pencils on multiple occasions, and once I almost cut off my toe when I was tossing a knife in the kitchen and dropped it. I've misplaced combs, my mom's hair accessories, and so many chapsticks because of this. I don't even remember tossing half the time. It's so embarrassing when I turn around to see my mom staring at me.
I can control it to a degree in public.. I mean, I don't jump all over the place or toss a water bottle, but I usually fiddle with a pencil or twirl my hair to myself occupied.  Oh, and I also have a plethora of conversations between other people in my head.
I have had the same problem since i was seven, then i caused violent reactions in the real world because i sometimes could not tell the diffrence. But now as i turn 18 i have calmed it down through reiki. Though i don't know how to control the daydreams i find walking or biking in seclusion helps like i try and do a 2 hour bike ride a day. School helped because i take a trail to my school with is a hour long bike trail and it feels awesome I let my mind loose thinking up songs,stories, conspiracy theories and of course my own personal world. No traffic or pedestrians to interrupt. Like my own world peace.
mines very similar, i dont imagine the same things as you but i do the thing with my hands, usually have to be fiddling with something and apparently I pull a stupid face. my family call it "dollying". long story as to why, but basically im the same as you-its just embarrasing if anyone sees you doing it and itb also can be a bit of a distraction from other more productive things!
My mother was an alcoholic.  She never showed my affection of any kind coming up and often asked for me to go away and stop bothering her when I would try and hug her.  Now as a man at the age of 27 looking back I see that this made me insecure.  I truly in my mind believed that something was wrong with me and I wanted to do nothing more than hide this fact from the world.  In my young mind since she had rejected me something had to have been wrong with me.  I was embarrassed and didn't want other people to find out something was wrong with me.  So I began to daydream.  I would lock myself in my room and daydream hours and hours on end.  I would dream of being all sorts of things and also being loved by a beautiful women that would never reject me.   I find it very hard to concentrate and am losing my focus as I am typing this so I am trying to be as succinct as possible.  I never stopped daydreaming and I never stopped feeling like something was wrong with me.  I look around me at people all the time when I am out and about doing things  I try to see if they are looking at me because somewhere along the line I figured that if I could catch them starring at me before they noticed something was wrong with me then I could prevent them from thinking something was wrong with me (lol, I sound crazy).  But then I just became that guy who walks around looking at other people all the time.  I think just about everyone one here has some self-esteem problem.  This is what I aim to do.  I am going to imagine in my mind this really cool person, that does all the things I have dreamed of being able to do and I am going to put everything I have into being that person.  I am talking about using all my mental energy (thoughts) and physical energy (actions).  I am going to structure my day by creating a routine and stick with it.  I will become too busy to worry about what other people are thinking, and since I don't have time to think about what other people are thinking I won't have time to daydream.  Oh yes I forgot to say.  WE HAVE LOST CONTROL PEOPLE, THATS WHAT WE HAVE TO DO,  REGAIN CONTROL OVER NOT JUST OUR THOUGHTS BUT EVERY ASPECT OF OUR LIVES.  Once you gain control in one area it is my belief that it will spill over into other areas of your life.  Please let me know what you think
All the people on here... I do the same thing..
I agree we should start a facebook thing! is there?!
exactly the same here
i do it too i do it as i daydream with the hand thing i get lost in it so hard i lose reality and make sounds and faces it is extremly embarrasing when i do it and someone sees ack x.x except i hold things like pencils and such as i do it wtf is wrong with me ive been doing it since kindergarden
I don't know if what you're explaining what I do. I'm 27 and I've been doing this since I can remember, atleast 3 years old. I remember my parents catching me doing it alone in rooms in the house.

When I get into these deep daydreams, it's usually of something I want to have. They are usually constructive daydreams on making something better or building something.

When I do these deep day dreams, i have full control of when I go in, and when I come out, I know I am not sleeping, however, most, if not all senses are pretty well deadened, blaring music is just a blur and sometimes someone saying my name snaps me out quickly. When I am in, I know I put my hands in front of my body, lock all the joints up in my fingers, start moving my fingers in a very strange snappy way, close my eyes, and, up until recently, locked my jaw up completely and pressed hard on all teeth. I've since trained myself to not close my teeth at all, but my jaw still locks up.

I can't explain why I do all that just for a day dream. I don't even consider it a daydream, because I can fantasize anytime about anything normally; wealth, women, success, happiness, etc, but the daydreams I have are usually me making my life better, and it's usually something like mapping out in my head how I'm going to upgrade my car, rebuild my computer, up my cash flow, build a house, but it's usually quite deep and detailed. It's hard to explain, the level of detail compared to a normal day dream is immenseley different.
i create stories and situations in my mind such as a football match, whilst i am doing this imagining i jump around the room. it is very addictive and i cant stop doing it. ive done it since i can remember. it is partially controlable as when i daydream  in class i just have a blank stare. no one knows i do it as it is embarressing. i do it in rooms by myself where no one else is. i need some help...i want to know what is wrong with me.
btw im 15
i thought i was the only person that did this
when im jumping around i dont know what action s and stuff im doing. when im really entertained in a new thought in my imagination i can do it for hours....
Wow. Good to know I'm not the only one who does this. My mom used to call it 'flapping' because I would jerk and twitch and hop around and pace back and forth. I'm pretty sure I look mental when I do this, but I am doing well academically (i'm in college), have great friends, and have a wonderful girlfriend, so I'm not too worried by it. I will say that it always involves game-planning something out--whether it be scheduling my day out, or what I want to do over the next few years, or where I want to take my gf on a date.
Oh, and the few times that my mom caught me, I always just denied it. Also, I think this releases endorphins because I always feel better/happier/more-motivated after indulging my imagination.
     Wow I am not to talkative at times. But I know what you are saying. I am a 24 yr old male with the same problem. I use my imagination at times when I am stressed, nervous, or anxious. It in my mind relieves whatever is going on outside, inside(if that makes any sense). I always thought that I was alone with this issue, and that for sure I am destined to be an outcast because of it. I myself grew up in a strict household; so I didn't have the chance to build proper friendships with a lot of people.
     I tried to force myself out of it when I realized what was going on. But, this led to me being cranky or agitated at times. It is frustrating dealing with this issue, I have been struggling with this from childhood; and I do want to get out of this habit. I am a college student, and I get distracted from my work in the process and it is frustrating. Recently I do not even like doing the things I love anymore because of my fight with this issue in my life.
This is super interesting.. I've done this since i've been 5 or so, it normally happened at night and in the morning, but i can imagine a whole different world - different to our own, with lots of interesting things to do!

I still do it to this day and i find it's a nice release for pent up stress. I forgot to mention I'm right handed....don't know why! Oh and if you're all looking for a Facebook page, iam going to be making one today - ill post the name and link.

Thanks all for reassuring me~!!!
It is called Maladaptive Daydreaming. It is not currently noticed as an official disorder and many therapists have not heard of it but it is being studied. Google that and you will find lots of people (including me) who have dealt with this for years and no one seems to know what it is. People who have MD sometimes share common symptoms: depression, ADHD (inattentive), OCD. MD is so far considered a result of trauma and is considered dissociative. I think this is probably true since most people will admit to have had some sort of trauma like childhood physical or sexual abuse. It is described as an addiction and I personally can relate. You get this high from fantasizing usually over things you would not want people to know about. For example, I often imagine someone I love dying and people pitying me-- or it may even by me dying. It can be a fantasy of great control and violence-- brutally killing someone even. It can be a fantasy of rescuing someone, being someone else, being famous, sexuality, or something else desired. The fantasies basically point out what you really want whether its intimacy, attention, affection, affirmation, approval, love, pity, etc.... Music is known to accompany fantasy because it makes the fantasy more intense as emotions are stronger and your "lost" in it. There are sometimes involuntary movements like tapping or walking back and forth or even throwing something up and down which is being tested as a possible partial or type of hypnosis-- just a theory. I wish there was more information but this is pretty much all we know for a moment but it is most definitely a psychological disorder-- just not official yet.
Thats really interesting because to enable me to become vivid in my daydreaming I have to use music...crazy I know!!!
OMG u just told my story . . . except for the jerking part !! But I know I have created those worlds because I want to live in that world . . . but yeah at times I even talk to myself while daydreaming . . . it really effecting my studies cause i just wanna to be in that unrealistic world !!
I'm schizotypal. I know that this has something to do with loneliness. I daydream a lot and when I do I tend to jump around the room! I've noticed that sometimes there is a trigger for these day dreams eg, surfing the net, watching tv, if you can try avoid these things in order to reduce active daydreaming. Oh I'm 17. And I'm also left handed and can sketch well. I think people like us need to focus our creative energies into something tangible like writing a book poems etc. So basically let's try focusing these energies to stop them from making us bounce off the walls.
Wow I'm so happy I found this group I have had this problem\gift since I was a young boy I'm 18 now and started opening up a little about this. My whole life I've suffered clinical depression and Always done this when I'm home alone or it's really late I normally run around jump make stupid noises but that place. I go to.  Is amazing pure ecstacy I can't do it around people been caught and asked what I was doing what can I say lol .i really think we should start a group on fb or something I would really like to hear about other peoples experiences and a more in depth view of what this is
Hi, Im 20 years old and I did this a lot as a child but because I really wanted to, I dont do it as much anymore cause I really cant find the time. I would put myself into a totally different life. I always looked forward to it too and always wanted to be alone so that I could just daydream. When I had a bedroom, I would lay on my bed for hours and to everyone else it probably would like I was staring at a blank wall but really I was somewhere else, somewhere I found was a lot better. There were times I didnt have my own room to go to and so I would turn on the shower so that everyone would think that I was taking a shower but really I was sitting on the toilet staring at the wall and daydreaming. I loved it so much. My mom was really strict with me as a child and wouldn't let me go out with friends much so maybe that is why I did it or still do it but then again i really like to be alone, even now I prefer to stay home with a book or write instead of going out with friends and now I dont live with my mother or anyone holding me back from being out with friends. Well, sometimes I have a need to go out and I do but usually I like to be left alone. I grew up with 3 brothers and a sister and I was just in my room most of the time. It was like my own world. When I wasn't reading or writing, I was daydreaming in there. I would always have different lives in my daydreams and each would last a few months..usually it was "normal" stuff but then there would be a few lives of mine that took place in a fantasy world where witches and giants exist. Like the one I keep daydreaming about now Is in a world with giants. When I daydream, everything always feels so real too! sometimes I catch myself making faces expressing what I feel in my daydream which is one of the reasons why I like to do it when I am alone. My imagination has always been really big though and my mom is always telling me to write a book so Im planning to put it to use one day, somehow. You should try doing something creative. I have a brother who has always been "the artist" in the family and everyone would always focus on how good he was able to draw but I would always hate his drawings or maybe I was jealous of them but I never saw the point of them cause you could see those things everywhere. I never told anyone any of this but I felt like he drew only what he can see in the real world. Til this day I get happy thinking about the time my mom held a little drawing contest between me and all my sibling and I won. I couldn't believe that I beat "the artist" and he was so angry about it too and kept convincing my mother that he should have won but she said that she loved my character and the way I drew it. Mines was a leaf character that I would think about a lot and before that day I even had a story for him. My brother drew a cartoon looking pit bull. I really don't like that brother much though cause a lot of times as a kid I would tell him characters to draw and try to work with him cause he is much better at drawing than me so I was hoping that maybe he can draw these characters exactly how I saw them in my mind and he did somewhat but we worked until they came out as close as they could but then he would go off and tell everyone that he thought them up and I never wanted to talk to him about anything from my imagination again cause I felt like he stole from me. My mom also has an imagination and maybe I get mines from her. She has been working on a book for years with flowers that come to life. I really never saw anything wrong with my daydreaming as a child but never told anyone about it cause I was really afraid that somehow it would be taken away from me which I now know is not true at all. I also think it helps me with acting which is something I have always wanted to do[: but Ive always been so shy and not many people know that I can act which is kind of fun because I get to surprise them. Everyone who has ever seen me act was really amazed and even my drama teacher said she would have never known, she kind of found out a little too late though cause I decided towards the end of school year that I finally wanted to show people in my drama class what I can do. I think I do good at it because I'm so use to imagining myself in different lives that acting is just like that except that I have to move around which makes me fully imagine it. It feels like I'm in another world when I act, I get to place myself in another life which is what I usually do except that I can get paid for it[: That's why i love it so much. So I really don't see anything wrong with it as long is it's controllable like mines has always been and I really suggest you do something in the arts. If it is hard to express yourself, keep practicing. It was really hard to get what was in my imagination out in the world for a really long time but I wanted to do it so badly so I kept on trying and It became easier and easier..still kind of hard expressing myself but I know it will get easier.. I actually feel like I am a lot better at drawing now too because I kept practicing. My mom found my drawing a while back and assumed that a friend drew them and and said they did really good, I went a long with it cause I never like showing any of my work to anyone even though the times I have, people loved it. Also, my mom wants me to really be a mathematician cause I'm really good at math but my interests have always been in the arts so I don't like her knowing anything about me drawing cause she will just shake her head. The only other thing she approves of is me being a writer cause she read one of my poems and has heard some of my stories and thinks I can really do that but I dont think she wants me to waste my time on it and that might be why she pushes me into jobs to do with math more than anything else.
Wow, I can honestly say that your description is very close to my own experience and frustrations.  My parents didn't divorce but the had a horrible marriage and I had 6 siblings which left me with very little attention from my parents.  I too feel like my potential is locked up or held back somewhere, this only make the daydreams worse because there are no limitations in them.  I too am 31 and until tonight didn't know there were others out there like me, although I suspected I couldn't be the only one.  Thank you for posting, reply if you'd like to correspond
I have always done this too! it has lessened with my age though, I'm married with 3 kids and am very happy. However I still do these imagination things. My daughter who is 15 now started doing this when she was about 13. She does not have close friends as of now and I worry that she may get very depressed. I wish somebody knew what this was an how to deal with it.
I've been doing this forever.  I've heard its called "stimming" and can be related to autism, but I'm not sure that's accurate.  I'm a 31 year old man, and I can choose to do this or consciously not do it (I do have a choice). I've never really tried to stop, because I don't see the harm, but I know its not normal... which I guess can be bothersome. I usually will walk around the room or sit in place and twirl a pencil in my hand and sometimes I'll stare at it.  For whatever reason the pencil is an important part of it. I need to have it moving in my fingers.  The daydream is always just a fantasy - not usually about my real life but instead a book I read, or a show I'd create. When I was a kid I'd run more and make noises while doing it. Now though, I just tend to think it, but sometimes I'll make a noise in order to emphasize something. Sounds crazy huh?  Well anyway, it tends to make me feel better so it can't be that bad. Nice to know others do this, seriously. :)
Hey man, looks like me and you are the only ones that do the finger thing. Mines a little different, i have to be sitting on the floor with my legs crossed looking down, and i usually dream of action things when i do it, since its more of a twitchy fast paced thing. Usually a battle or something. Every now and then i can do it and dream of something slower, like the economy doing something, a buisness growing, using the fast paced twitches as like the money flowing very fast. I make a lot of noises when i do it too. Been doing it as long as i remember and im now almost 19. I also dream of money and riches. The imagination has alowed me to think of great ways to make money and i would love to start my own buisness. I also, as everyone else here, struggle with deep depression. But i seem to have conquered it a little more. Ive used the depression as my strength, the constant struggle to fight the depression has made me stronger. Ive learned to rely on myself and my dreams to get me through things, and have made it a part of my life. For the longest time i wanted to get rid of this, whatever it is, but have recently learned im much happier excepting it as who i am. i have found a small group of friends who are like this, and we often get in groups at night and talk about this stuff, and it usually goes pretty deep. We've learned that we are very different from most people, slightly set apart, and out of touch with everything. We talk about Philosophy, Religion, Science, and all see to have the same views on everything. What if this is a good thing? Maybe we are, as crazy as it sounds, just evolving as humans? My friends and i have noticed that we understand deep subjects much better than most people, and seem to have knowledge how how everything fits together. Maybe were crazy, but hey, its who we are. Just live it.
My friends, I have the same problem. Best day of my life- I was on a boat on the Mediterranean and all of a sudden I got this horrible daydream. And I've had a lot like that. And ive seen a lot of things- my death, other people's deaths, crimes- its like that movie minority report. I have several characters, made up in my head- and some of the visions are horrible but some of them are great, utopian- I'm on an everlasting trip honestly. Never told my parents, brother, or close friends, but yeah, I sometimes get depressed from the visions, but its worth it!! Like you I've always had what my mother calls a "vivid imagination" but now I'm a writer, write great stories. And I have hot girls coming up to me saying "how are you such a talented writer?" wanting to make out, etc, when (which I never tell anyone) I'm just doing what Van Gogh called "painting his dream."
Just to get the word out there, feel I have to tell someone but would feel like a wimp if I went to a shrink, cause I'm usually manly "strong, silent type" haha. Good luck!!!
Some visions include-
-One of my "characters"- is forced into killing an intruder in his house who's my age (I was 14 then, I'm 16 now)
-A woman who's beaten, in France or somewhere and is only saved by a tourist (in redemption) <<can't get into details on this one. Too horrible. This ruined the best day of my life. Uncontrollable.
- disturbing sexual visions
But the GOOD ones:
- beautiful, Renoir-like heavenly places, saint-like people, and their perfect lives- I turn into these people.
And here's the thing- I had a happy childhood, had two decent, wealthy parents, never bullied, and ive always looked nice. Only problem I've ever really had is some slight shyness issues, especially around girls, which have caused some problems.
but that's the thing- I got tired of that "civilized" life- I wanted an adventure, and some of the worst visions are my visions of my greatest desire- heroin. I'm addicted to it even though I've never tried it, because all I want to do (when I wake up and go to sleep) is heroin. And I know my parents would just think differently of me if I told them, so I can't.
I'm 16 years old and no, I have no sleeping problems, I have slight OCD but not ADHD, and I wouldn't say I have depression but I feel depressed sometimes over the visions. Anyone know what this is called? Because I wouldn't call it a mental hospital disorder, and I'm never doing nothing about it cause I like having it, but I just want to know what it's called.
"And it's a hard rain gonna fall"
I do the same and have done for over 30 years, when I was younger, I used to pick people out of the catalogue and they would be the stars of my daydreams, Nowadays, it is like watching a soap in my head which I am in control of, It is so addictive, sometimes I would just rather stay in and finish off the story than go out,  but the story is nothing like my own, I am a female and it is about males and I just choose one of my characters to think about and it would be his story for that day, next day I could be one of the other characters, but they are all living in the same area and have similar lives. I don't tell anyone as I am sure they would think I am mad, Thats why I was googling because I am starting to think it myself. I have got a family of my own and I see it as a way of escaping.  Although I have quite a good life, better than the people I daydream about...Nice to know I am not the only one.  I don't want to stop, because it is like reading a really good book and I think I would miss my characters, who have all got names.  
Hey

I have only just discoverd this site. And like the rest of you im glad to know im not a lone out there.
I too have got a intense imagination, i would be by my self a lone in my room listening to music, if not with the TV on, so no one would catch me looking a looney while in my unreal world of my mind.
Some part of me has come to epcept it,  it is addictive, that i can relent with.
I did it since i was 7 and still do it now and im 25 years old.
I too tried going cold turkey, it didnt take long, i just could no help it.
The annoing part of it is that i some times tend to figit or i end up pouncing about on my bed. Iv been through quite a few matresses becouse of that which of course annoyed my parents at the time.
I can control When i do it. Thou when in a middle of a session and i tend to get bored, i tend to drift off. But i manage to snap out of it. i have ajusted throght the years. But who is normal.
It's a disorder called maladaptive daydreaming. Google it. I have it and it sounds like you guys do too.
I get into a deep daydream too and I find myself reacting to something in my daydream like if im fighting my body will react and  swing or duck or block to protect myself. I do it at work, anywhere. I do it when I watch tv series a lot i think. I would put myself in the show and dream it the way i wanted it to happen and i could feel myself reacting to whatever is happening. when my body starts reacting i can snap out of it pretty quick. i wont know whats going on around me and im always hoping nobody seen me. when i try to explain this, people look at me crazy and just ignore me.
I have always done the same. I have ehlers danlos, diagnosed with aspergers, and god only knows what else..possibly chiari malformation. Going to neurologist and getting more answers the 26th of this month..
Omg I thought I was the only one doing this. Ive been experiencing this since I was 4 or 5 i think, and now I'm 20 and still doing this kind of over imagining thing. Usually I imagined too much before i sleep, even in the bathroom just sitting for an hour. Sometimes if I get myself upset or lonely, I create a story like they've been quarreling and Its always about lovestory and the characters were someone i knew that I'm liking to. I dont know why but it feels so good when I do this. Its like a sanctuary that I live and I felt comfortable.

Actually Im raised from a religious family and when I got to college I got into a church and it changed me a lot even my imaginative mind had almost disappeared because there are times that i daydreamed about "sex". It's like extreme daydream. It was so hard for me to overcome that struggle in my life coz i know its a bad habit and its like there's this evil spirit that summoned me. The church that i went to has this full of gifts like "speaking in tongues and even vision". There are also members that can discerned people's heart.

There was a time that I was in a pre-encounter with God and the pastor was preaching on us and we're just like 15 people in the room. I was so tired and I felt like daydreaming about sex and I did it. Then suddenly the pastor talked about people related to sex and I was like oh my god, he was talking about me and i was awaken.

Right now I stop going to that church for some reasons and i felt strugglin in my studies. The daydreams come back again and still am fighting with this bad habit. Im so glad to hear all your stories. By the way Im a loner person and i hate social life. I just preffered  being in my room than chatting with my other boardmates. I think this things are happening to me coz i lack social life and i need physical activities like making busy with myself to avoid these things. And still prayin. God bless u guys.
I know exactly what you are speaking of as I experience the same thing. There are Times when I become suddenly so 'drowsy' that I can hardly keep my eyes opened..I Then go off into another scenario..almost a virtual reality and my body does respond the the stimuli. There are many Times when I am actually 'shown' things that are to happen and, sure enough, they do. I don't believe it has anything to do with our brain activity alone!! I have been 'shown' that it is more than just thoughts..there is outside activity and I believe you should read up on many of the 'contactees' statements and I believe you will find that you will be able to relate to a lot of what they are describing. I will show you just one verse from the Bible that you will more than likely understand now..ie..'You speak to me in the early hours of the morning and tell me of things TOO COME...' There are more and more people awakening to the higher Knowledge so don't let anyone 'ground' you with human brain disorders and the like.

Here is another quote from the Bible..one that many people have read over and over but have not 'clicked' to what it is actually saying..ie..'He BOWED the heavens and come down..'  To 'bow' is to bend, the 'heavens' is space. That is speaking of space bending..something that humans applaud Einstein for yet was already written (and being practised) thousands of years ago.  That verse opens up other verses then..ie..'with the Lord a day can be a thousand years and a thousand years can be a day...'  another reference to Time manipulation.  

What I am trying to say here is..there is sooooo much that people don't know and I believe that you already know that what is happening to you (and many others) is real..just make sure you hang on to the right Source..ie...'Call out to ME and I will show you GREAT and UNSEARCHABLE things that you do not know..'!!

Here are some other verses from the Bible that paint a very 'starwarsish' picture...

'He sits on the throne with 24 elders seated around Him...He sits amongst the 'gods' in the great assembly...the creature has very high rims with eyes (lights) flashing all around it...'

What I am trying to say here is...the old prophets were contacted in much the same way..ie..'I was taken up in the Spirit'..that is an old fashioned way of describing and OBE so don't think it can't happen to you. :)
I have the same issues but my "twitches" aren't as bad as yours i am also left handed and listen to trance music. People usually think I'm on drugs when I'm in this state I was tested for ADHD but it was negative. i have a some of questions.

Can you feel objects when in this state because i can ?

Bit Random but is there anythig else you use this "Gift" to do

OMG I feel like you are talking about me. I thought that I am the only one who suffer from this. I really searched a lot but nothing. I am Married and I a child and I still have the day dream thing. I go to the bathroom when I feel excited for day dream, I run and jump around. My husband saw me yesterday cause I forgot to close the door, and I feel so angry because he is making fun of me. I hate it and I want an end for this feeling. I did not talk to him, and I runaway when I see him. He become so angry toward my attitude, he said what you want me to do, delete it from my mind?
But I can't stop my self from doing it, it feel so great after the day dream exercise. I can control it, but I always feel that I need it.
Please someone help me!  
Don't be too paranoic.
If you daydream a lot in your life, you can use it for your own advantage. You can start drawing comics or doing animation, even perhaps make a new franchise with it's own characters and merch, and be famous for once. Think about that!
I've read most of the comments above and just want to add that I'm another extreme dreamer. I've learned to use my daydreams to my benefit. I enjoy writing, and use my daydreams to create and develop my novels and fanfics. The problem is that it's too embarrassing to tell anyone that I do this. I'm 28 and I try explaining to my husband I need space alone behind closed doors. It sounds bad, but I really need to act things out or else they consume me to the point I can't concentrate in real life. I'll act out scenes and then write them down. It helps get the scenes out of my head.
I know this is really old, but me too!  :D  I thought I was alone...
Old comment yeah, but me too!  :/ My mom poked fun at me for making weird faces when I was daydreaming playing on my computer.
i am also in this list. I am 36 now. i started feeling it from 10th grade. i used to study in closed room and keep myself isolated from rest of family to avoid disturbance in my studies. From there it developed.
i never think it of strange as i believe everybody may feel the same. it were my family members who pointed this to me.
in my all 16 years education, i gained first position. i was best with mathematics. I got engineering degree.
This daydreaming never pose any hurdle in my life. i considered it normal and keep finding the way and succeeded. Now, 11 years of service and working on position of a Manager and having family with 3 kids. All looks normal. By the time i started job, my daydreaming reduced. my job involve lot of interactions with the people, consultation, trainings etc. My day dreaming all vanished.

So, i suggest very simple solution to this problem;

1. always keep urself busy with some practical work. Give yourself practical tasks to keep you connected with this realistic world.
2. Never sit alone, socialize yourself.
3. Interact with people

Good luck

2. Never sit alone, socialize yourself.
3. Interact with people

Good luck

I have an extremely active and vivid imagination, and when I try to keep my mind off of it it's really hard. my  friends are getting annoyed with me, my music makes my head act up even more. I'm worried that one day I'm just not gonna get out of bed, and live in my imaginary world in my head. I'm 15 and really scared...
I have this as well always have since I could remember, my parents to me to see about it they said it was a phase little do they know I'm 19 now and if anything I do it more, some doctors called it a "tick" my hands twitch and I lose sight of the world and enter my own and it is perfect to my liking, my mom would catch me when I was young and would tell me to stop so I'd hide, certain things trigger it music, I often picture myself as the singer of the band or something like that, intense movies as a kid starwars, transformers anything like that, I never played with many toys because I didn't have to, I always built things and was always creative now I make metal art being a welder. Also I'll often get headaches from dreaming so hard. To be honest it's a love hate relationship I love it in a way but also hate it because no one that doesn't have it will ever understand us, just glad I'm not alone.