unexplained swelling in left ankle
I too have unexplained swelling in my left ankle. By night time it is quite large and uncomfortable. There is no swelling in any other part of my foot (toes etc). I am type 2 diabetic and am concerned. I am not on any meds, I exercise 5 days/week. This started about a week ago and then there was bruising on the ankle bones. I went to emerg and was told by looking at it that is was nothing to be concerned about. I am concerned. I'm healthy. This is very odd. There have been no tests run at all. I have not injured my foot and am still able to walk 9 kms everyday. I have had however, swollen lymph glands in the groin area. What does that suggest? What should I be investigating? (as stated by ccfNeuroMD on a pervious post to Sandi).
Hi, probably it is either trauma related swelling or dependent edema. As you are diabetic, chances of getting infection through injury are high. Does swelling accompanied with redness, tenderness or is it hot to touch?

Try antibiotic cover (augmentin) for a week along with limb elevation during sleep. Take salt restricted diet and high protein diet. Other causes for pedal swelling are heart and kidney disorder but in these cases swelling is seen in both feet.
I have swelling in my right ankle. Not a huge amount, very painful at times.  I put foot on the floor 1st thing in the morning, painful, but then ankle starts to swell.  I'm a diabetic type 2 however very well controlled.
I some times get numbness in the foot which can travel up the leg, and whole thing goes dead.  They think I may have an abnormal spine which the hospital will check for.  Is this possible it's an abnormal spine.  Cat scans ct scans mri scans not showing a lot, may be start of cartlidge problems, may be mortons nuromeo.  I'm desperate to find out.  We look after are daughtetr who is 17, however is only the mentality of a 6 months old baby she has very seivere special needs and as parents we absolutely love her to bits and do what ever it takes to help her.
Try seeing a reflexologist, acupuncturist or licensed massage therapist.  They really get to the root of it.
Very frustrated, as is everyone, with what seems to be the lack of 'why'.  I will become more aware of my diet and see if there's any correlation.  I got orthotics and they seem to have helped.  The podiatrist also gave me an anti-inflammatory shot, which helped more than anything.  Got rid of the worst of the swelling, though not all of it.  I try stretching my calves, etc. - but not clear if it has any relationship to it.  Main thing that helps is putting my foot up.