Neurology Community
unilateral lower lip numbness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

unilateral lower lip numbness

I have had left lower lip numbness and tingling for almost a month.  I originally thought it might have been related to some dental work that I had done, but the symptoms started 3 months after that.  I have also had left cheek tingling intermittently.  I am waiting for a neuro consult.  What could be causing these symptoms?  There is no pain involved.
Some sort of cranial nerve palsy the neurologist may investigate through an MRI and other tests. Do you have any other symptoms, or have you recently had surgery or dental work? It could be the result of electrolyte or vitamin deficiencies, an abnormal growth pressing on a nerve(s) in the region, migraines (silent, perhaps), or a hormone imbalance.
I have a Vit B 12 deficiency, but I am on V B12 and my level is fine.  My dentist was my first visit, as I thought it may be from him hitting the lingual nerve.  He stated that if it had been from the local, the symptoms would have been present from the get go, and would not have shown up 3 months later.  I have had all of my routine labs checked around  6 weeks ago, and they were all fine. My symptoms have been the persistent left lower lip numbness, and left cheek tingling.  It feels like there is a hair on your face at times, but there is nothing there.  I have also had some left upper eye lid twitching on and off.  There is no paralysis, but definite parathesia of the lip.
I was wondering if any of the health experts could weigh in on possible causes.
oh my gosh---when you said 'feels like there's a hair on your face' I was like OMG!  that's me!  On Monday I awoke and a muscle was spasming near the left side of my mouth, near the corner and it was really intense.  I looked in the mirror and saw it twitching, and then all of sudden part of my lip went numb and then the next day I was laying there reading and it felt like there wasa hair on my face laying across my lip.....and now everytime I speak I can feel something moving, like a nerve or something, in my lip.  this has been going on since Mon. and it's Thursday.