Neurology Expert Forum
use of TENS' machine for neuropathy

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

use of TENS' machine for neuropathy

Does anyone here know about (research or personal experience) the use of a TENS machine for neuropathy?

My insurance will not pay for one and I'd like some feedback before I spend the $'s.
TENS for pain or neuropathy has not been definitevely proven to be effective from a scientific point of view - about half the research studies have shown some benefit and half do not. It may work for you to a certain degree but may not, there is no way to predict. If you can obtain one for trial, this would be recommended before spending your hard earned dollars on it.
I think the effectiveness varies greatly from patient to patient.  I used one for a while on a trial basis, the machine had to be turned up so high that it made my back spasms worse.  Your physical therapist or whoever is suggesting one should have one for a trial purpose as they do not work on everyone. Good luck.
A friend of mine uses a 10s unit to help with his neuropathy.  I recently had a spinal cord(stimulator)implant done simular but different from a 10s unit to help with my neuropathy.  Both of us have the non-diabetic neuropathy(don't know that it makes a difference in pain management.  Anyway, I was lucky that my insurance covered my implant due to its HIGH COST!  We both agree that we get some relief from our units.  We also both still take medications as well.  What I am learning is that different things work for different people regarding pain management.  I would consider looking into the possibility of you using a 10s for a free tial period(if possible)to see if it helps you before considering purchasing one.  Good luck, K.
I know of one person that uses a TENS unit and gets much relief.  They are quite expensive when purchased by a non-medical person.  If you know of someone in the medical profession, massothereapist, chiropractor etc, they can get these units quite inexpensively for under $100.00.  It's worth looking into.
A related discussion, Diabetic Neuropathy was started.
A related discussion, Can epidural benefit PPN? was started.