Neurology Community
vasculitis - nerve damage - how to heal nerves?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I had vasculitis - blood supply cut off to toes - gangrene and lost two toes and several parts of toes - numb feet up to outer side of knees. I now have slight feeling returning to arches and parts of soles of feet but shattered nerves in feet and legs have left me with very ultra sensitive feet at skin level.To walk bare-footed is very painful even on the lawn - like walking on gravel and I feel every tiny lump and bump underfoot.
My question is can anyone suggest a food, mineral, or treatment which will hasten the healing of nerves and return my feet to normal? I've given up all the pain relief except an oxynorm at night so I can sleep. The shooting pains,'electric shocks' and burning pains that keep attacking my feet, especially at night, keep me awake and then I get dreadful restless legs and can be awake all night wriggling, kicking, walking the floor and almost going nuts!! HALP!! Di Pannell.
Hi, Thank you for your question. Nerve damage may affect motor functions and sensory interpretations. Common symptoms of damaged nerve could be pain, burning sensations, numbness, and weakness at the affected skin/muscles around the nerve. Treatment includes symptomatic relief and steroids. Another option could be surgery, and it involves suturing of nerve. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply.I really want to know more about what I can do to help this healing process. Do i give the painful skin a good hard massage regularly and not worry about wearing footwear that also hurts and walking and doing all the things that stir up the pain, tingling, etc? Or should I be doing things that avoid pain, rest, stay in soft slippers, keep off my feet etc. I'm not sure whether to stimulate or not stimulate and I'm afraid I may be opposing the healing process rather than assisting. Are you able to advise me in this, please? It may be that what I am wanting to know is beyond current medical knowledge.