Neurology Community
veins on mri?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

veins on mri?

8574947?1354426054
Alright, so I've had lots of weird symptoms over the past few years... after tests more or less being clean (some abnormalities, like "mild idiopathic neuropathy" showing on ncv), ended up with "anxiety" diagnosis ( :/). But that's besides the point. I guess I can be a bit of a hypochondriac, and as my symptoms returned again, I went back and looked at my old MRIs.

They were all said to be normal for my age. That's all well and good, but I saw this pic (attached) and notice it doesn't look like what you see when you look at typical brain MRI pictures. I've done some research (I know you shouldn't but..) and I understand that there are lots of normal reasons why veins would enhance this much that aren't dangerous or symptom causing, BUT my curiosity is killing me... I was just wondering why veins would show up on an MRI like that typically? (Mostly it is secondary to *something*, I thought... but they didn't even mention the presence?)

So... to be clear, I'm not questioning the fact that it's normal, I was just wondering if anyone knew why it may occur and whether it's common place to not mention this kind of thing in an MRI report?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

CSF is cerebro spinal fluid which cushions and bathes the brain and this is what is visible on the MRI. Its unlikely to be the veins.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.