Neurology Expert Forum
vertigo during sleep
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

vertigo during sleep

I have severe sleepdisorders which might be related to either status migrainous, neck arthrosis and/or depression.
  I suffer from positional vertigo, sometimes if I quickly turn my head, sometimes while either lying down or standing up but mostly by head movements while I sleep. I awake then out of a dream in which I experience vertigo and when I am awoken this vertigo is real.
  So I try to sleep on my back and try to restraint my head from moving too much.
  When I try to sleep on one side, I mostly awake with vertigo. My pink and ring finger of the side I slept on are feeling numb and my heart is pounding when changing from position. I feel anxious and very confused and sometimes disorientated as if the room has been turned to the right with 45 degrees.
  I take medication for years already : propanolol, dihydroergotoxinemesyl and acetylsalisyl and also lexotan for 20 years already although in a mild degree.
  I am 52 years old and worried about the future. I had CT scan without and with contrast fluid, and also carotid artery echography and duplex. Nothing abnormal found.
  Any good advise ?
===========================================================================
Dear Marc:
I do not think there is a unifying diagnosis for all your symptoms. While you may indeed have migraines and cervical spine degenerative spine disease, I do not think your vertigo is related to either. They pattern of vertigo you describe is quite characteristic of benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). This disorder is believed to be from dislodgement of a sand-like particle in the inner ear, which alters the flow of fluids in some parts of the inner ear (the posterior semicircular canal), resulting in symptoms on head turning. Some forms of exercise and some office based neuro-otological maneouvers may result in improvement. Although somewhat less likely, vertebrobasilar artery ischemia is in the differential diagnosis of this syndrome, and a MRI and MRA of the brain may be needed (CT is not good enough) to exclude that more serious diagnosis.
Your finger numbness may be from a mild nerve pinching in the arm, and could be addressed by a neurologist with the help of an EMG test.