Neurology Community
vitamin d deficiency/ tingling and muscle twitching

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hi all,
Does anyone know vitamin d deficiency can cause muscle twitching and tingling?
As I know, low calcium can cause muscle spasm, but my calcium and all other vitamins minerals are normal, except vitamin d is low.
Anybody has a same symtoms (symptoms) like me....????

Deficiency of vitamin D can cause muscle aches, weakness, muscular hypotonia and bone pain. Muscle spasms can also result due to associated calcium deficiency.

There are many other conditions also which can cause muscle twitches. Some of them include benign fasciculation syndrome, hypoparathyroidism, stress, excessive exercise, deficiencies of other minerals like magnesium and calcium. You should consult a doctor for complete evaluation to rule out any medical disorder.

Regards

Hi-

I also have a vitamin d deficiency (less than 7) and I take 50,000 IU of vitamin d twice a week.  I also have a B12 deficiency and take shots twice a week.  I too have muscle twitching and numbness and tingling in my hands and feet.  I am going to see a Neurologist because my doctor told me that b12 deficiency can cause nerve problems.  I am not sure if vitamin d can cause nerve problems as well as the b12.  I have terrible headaches and the eye doctor said that the nerves in my eyes were inflamed.  I know that if you have the deficiency for a long time and goes untreated it could cause permanent damage.  Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone with your symptoms. :)  
Thanks for your comment!
The muscle twitching and tingling make me too nervous.
I think it cause me have anxiety and stressful life.
My b 12 is within the normal range. Every blood tests are normal except my vit.d. I will have a nerve conduction test tomorrow.
Hope it well..
Anyone one has the same experiences?
I have same symptoms like you, since 4 months. It started with burning in the whole body. turned into body aches as well as twitching and tingling. I feel fatique and soar throat and needling and pins. It is abnormal. I did test all types of blood, even all types of virus tests. everything is negetive but only Dvitamin is low. Can any one help me, I am also diabetic. but my sugar is normal. please help me to get out from this. Thanks.

I found out that my vit d level was a 7 earlier this week and I am having tingling, numbness, twitching, muscle cramps, eye pain and dry eyes. I was placed on 50000 ius of vitamom D per week for the next 7 weeks and then another blood draw. I also have high EBV titers and this is of great concern to me. I can't seem to get any answers or any help.
I have had many of the same symptoms, with the most annoying/severe being muscle twitches.  I discovered that it was from too MUCH vitamin B6.  As long as I don't get too much, I am fine.  I have found that I pretty much need to make sure that my multi-vitamin does not contain more than the RDA, which is 2 mg.

I did go through a period of gret stress (husband died from cancer at 37) and my left eyelid twitched almost continuously for about 4 months.  Since then, when under great stress, my eyelid will gain occasionally twitch.
I am a 27 years old male. I've been experiencing muscle twitching (eyelids first, then moved to other muscles) and skin burning sensation specially on my scalp, for months. Recently I've also had muscle and joint pain. I've been to a neurologist, had two MRIs, and a general blood test about 6 months ago and the doctors didn't come up with anything and told me it's anxiety.

Last week I got really frustrated and went to another doctor, which took another blood test, this time monitoring for almost everything including Vitamin D levels. An hour ago, I received a call from him, telling me that my Vitamin D level is 16, that I need to start taking Os-Cal Vitamin D supplements with food, and expose myself to sunlight for at least 15 mins everyday.

I've been working from home for the past 8 months and went out only twice or three times a week, which now explains everything. I've been suspecting everything from viral infection to MS and cancer, turns out it was none of them but a problem that might lead to any of those if it's not diagnosed early.

Wow! I am glad to hear I am not alone. I have been having muscle pain for a couple of months now. The doctor suspected that it was due to my low Vitamin D level (17). Now I am having numbness and tingling in my arms/hands and legs/feet. I am scheduled for a nerve conduction test. But perhaps it is also linked to low vitamin D. My left eyelid has been twitching for a couple of weeks and my scalp has been hurting (I was wondering if I needed to change shampoos) but again, perhaps it is all due to low vitamin D. Also included in my symptoms is fatigue. How wonderful if it can all be remedied by taking vitamin D supplements (I am taking D3 2000 IU daily) and getting more sun (as much as possible in New England - I moved here from California, I think maybe my body went into shock!) Thank you for posting comments, I have found it very helpful!
Hi all,
I am from toledo Oh and for months i suffered with severe muscle aches and pains, muscle spasm, tingling in hands and feet and fatigue. I did every test in the book including being tested for lyme's disease. I saw several neurologist and nothing until a girlfriend i hadnt seen in years came to visit and mentioned vit D deficiency. I called my doctor up and got my levels checked and was blessed to find out i was deficient.

I was placed on 50,000IU weekly for 3 months and that finally made me feel like my old self. Lately i have slacked off since my levels were normal but i have started having tingling again so i will redo my levels and get back on my 50,000IU weekly.

I just wanted to share that i thought i was on my death bed but vit D deficiency is such a simple thing that doctors do not check for. Please if you have any of these issues ask your doctors to check you vit  D levels.

I want to leave by saying that the pain or issues dont go away by the first week but they do disappear and you do regain your old life again.
Take care all!
Jazzy
I too have a low vitamin d count [ 8 ] and am in my second week of taking 50000 units of supplement. However, last night was terrible with muscle and joint burning tingling etc.. Driving me crazy! Only putting pressure on my legs giving me any relief but I can't do that forever. Well just needed to vent and let everyone know we're in this together and no one is alone.
Hi Everyone,
I' have been having muscle pain...twitching everywhere on my body and muscle fatigue for a month now. I was convinced that I was suffering from early ms or als symptoms. My Dr. took a battery of blood tests and discovered my vitamin d level is 23. That may not sound very deficient after reading other posts, but it apparently is enough to cause problems. He started me on 1000 iu a day until further notice. I hope it helps..and I hope it won't take too long to get relief. It does drive you crazy at times. Good luck to all of you. I will pray for all of you tonight...I promise.
Does anyone know how long it takes for the Vitamin D level to increase?  I have been on 50000 IU for only a week, but the tingling in my hands have been occurring for 3 months and it is driving me up a wall.  What's even worse is that I type all the time and have to keep correcting the words because of my fingers not working properly.
You surely have your answer by now, but according to Dr. Michael Holick, when Vit D is significantly low, SERUM calcium will nearly always look normal or elevated.  That is because you cannot absorb any calcium when Vit D is not intact, therefore, it will be leached from bones (unregulated) to meet needs of vital organs (heart, lungs).  IONIZED calcium is what must be measured.  Your calcium was probably quite low also.  Dr. Holick says take calcium citrate, not carbonate.  You can see his presentation at YouTube, Vit D and Prevention of Chronic Diseases, part of grassroots health, an organization of medical research scientsts attempting to inform the public about the epidemic of Vit D deficiency and chronic diseases.  Hope you are in perfect health by now!  
i thought i was alone - i have had mucle twitching, tingling/stinging pains in hands and feet, leg pain esp at night and bad headaches - worst part is the tiredness it driving me crazy!

my level was 22 last year and i supplemented with 1000 iu per day - 8 weeks later retested and it went upto 58 - yippee! however 7 months later it has gone down back to 22 and the above symptoms have come back so its back on the 1000 iu a day - i want to take higger doses but am worried about taking too much...
this all started after i contracted a stomach bug last year...
This is interesting. There is some new research coming out that links Vitamin D deficiency to problems with the gut.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19758226

I had a mild deficiency a while ago which I took Ostellin for and have replenished now. I'm currently getting my gut tested to see that all my gut digestive bacteria are in balance.   They're starting to link gut bacteria (or lack thereof) with a whole range of autoimmune diseases.

Anyone else develop a sudden intolerance to coffee or caffeine in general when they realised their Vitamin D was low ?
I too have had many of the same symptoms for 2 years and just today discovered my vit D is low at 12.6. When I initially started with the pain, tingling I was very alarmed and had a battery of test where they said I just had the flu or a virus and not to worry. Not sure if they ever tested my vit D levels but they did test specifically for Lyme and RA (both neg),  After the initial fear, I guess I just learned to live with it as it did become milder just flaring up every now and then and tried to ignore it since I have a high tolerance for pain and am a heavy sleeper.

I just turned 40 and went for a general physical and all my labs came up fine except my vit D.

I also have in the past couple of years developed an intolerance for caffeine and IBS-like symptoms usually around my period and just before. The rest of the month it does not bother me, which is why I have ignored that too.

I hope my ignorance and desire not to be sick has not caused irreparable damage to my ever faithful body...  
Unlike evryone in here, I just started having the tingling, muscle spasms, and numbness in arms and legs for about 3 weeks now. BUT I have not been feeling myself for over 7 months.

I stared with a week-long headache that turned to dizziness, ear pain, heart palpitations, chest pain, shortness of breath and finally anxiety. I've been to numerous doctors, had and EKG, a 48-Hour heart monitor, x-rays, and labs done. I saw an ENT doctor, a Neurologist, an ER visit, 2 urgent care visits, my family doctor and his Nurse Practicianers numerous times. Non of these care providers believe my symptoms and exams qualify me for a brain MRI. One test that came back abnormal was my Vit D level, 11.5. The Nurse Practicianer had me started 200IU over the counter daily. After 6 weeks, a redone Vit D level showed mine went up to 29.

Then about 3 weeks ago, I started with the tingling and numbness.. lots of leg muscle and knee joint pains. I was so scared.. thought of the worse like MS, fibromyalgia, or even Cancer of some kind. I saw another NP on 3/3/2011. She recommended I increase my Vit D to 4000IU daily for a month and see if it helps. She assured me symptoms really don't point to direct MS. We'll see. I'll keep you all posted.

By the way, I'm a 29 year-old mom of 2 kids. One age 3 and one 8 months old. I'm from Wisconsin.
Hi. Just checking to see how you have been feeling lately. Has everything started to get better? I am having a bunch of tests coming up over the next few weeks to find out if there is any problems (hope not)! I have low vit d, too. I am on 2,000 per day. But my muscle twitches started after I started taking supplements. Do you have muscle twitches?

Take care,
Linda <
I just discovered that my vitamin D was very low. This comes after 4-5 months of medical leave: initially I have been told I have bilateral carpal tunnel and after doing 2 months of therapy for it, I have been referred to a long series of specialists: osteopath, neurologist, physiatrist, therapist, rheumatologist, infection disease specialist, etc and none of them was able to find the cause of the tingling, numbness, pain I feel in my arms. I have done an EMG which came out ok, did MRIs for my head and neck, blood tests for Lyme disease which came out negative . Lately I have started to feel the tingling in my legs too on my calfs, and the fatigue got worst.  I have been suspected for Lyme disease, gout, MS.

I wonder, could the vitamin D deficiency cause all this...
21 yr old female here. I went in for pain in my neck and the doctor took one look at me and ordered a Vit D test. After years of migraines and stomach issues, no one has ever tested my vitamin D. My level was 12. He also tested C-Reactive Protein (reads inflammation in body) which came up very high at 9. Anyone else have this tested? He put me on 20,000iu a day, YES that's right. My levels jumped up to 53 in a month.
Forgot to mention all the twitching-  started with eyelid and then went to my left thumb. The constant twitching thumb made me very nervous, but the thumb has completely stopped since taking the vitamin d. If I miss a dose, or take it at a different time, my eyelid will flutter or a foot with twitch. It's like my levels are trying to level out. Since being on the high dosage, I see now how instrumental vitamin D is to twitching.
Hello...I have PCOS and MS. My endo tested my vitamin D and told me to take 2,000 a day...since then I have started going to Johns-Hopkins in Baltimore MD to see a Neurologist for my MS. He too tested my vitamins as he took 13 tubes of blood from me. I really love this place....I have also had a 4  hour long MRI and waiting on those results but anyway...my Vitamin D was level 22. He has me on 50,000 for 10 days then 50,000 once a week for 3 months before more blood work. I haven't started this yet as I have not been able to get my prescription filled but will on Monday. Being as positive as I am I think this will really help me a lot. After my 10 days I will be back to let you all know how it goes.
To cc414, I an sorry you are feeling just like me. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia nearly5 years ago. However, the doc never bothered to take blood tests to see if I was vitamin deficient which is why I have fatigue chronic pain and an array of debilitating symptoms. I now see a rheumatologist who has me on pain killers and I am responding poorly. I believe I am really deficient because I had stomach surgery and no longer take the necessary vitamins. I think you should try getting a prescription for vitamin d and you will gradually see a change in pain fatigue and depression. Also try getting more bloodwork for other vitamin deficiencies. Diet plays a major role in chronic pain as well. I will be seeing a nutritionist soon. I hope you feel better.
Yes it is little known, too much vitamin B can cause the twitches.  Which in my case became quite extreme when I was put on a high dose of B vitamin complexes.  I think it is Vitamin B6 that is the culprit as Kim JSCP but I was on a mixture so can't be sure.  

But the twitching became so extreme at night and I felt it come direct from my brain all the way down to my feel that it is only what I can imagine something like parkingsons feels like.  Came off the very high (higher than RDA of B vitamins and am fine.  

That's something they don't tell you isn't it.  Only refer to numbness when taking too much!    
Hi All!
Im from Australia & I too have suffered from muscle twitches, pain, numbness & tingling. My vit D level was 22 a month ago. I take 3000ug a day & my twitches have slowed down but not completely stopped. I too was/am very concerned that its something neurological. I get the twitches in my face, head, fingers, feet, calves, thighs & even my bottom. It drives me crazy. Before reading this site I thought I was on my deathbed. Im a mum of 3 kids. Sometimes I wonder if my constant thinking the worst makes my symptoms worst. Im seeing a rhemutologist at the end of Oct & a neurologist at the start of Nov. Costing alot of money. Anyway Im glad Im not the only one feeling this way. But I feel sorry for everyone who is going thru this & I hope we all feel better soon.
Very interesting comments.  I too am Vit D deficient.  I have constant, intense, all-over pins and needles and itching.  Also I have swelling in face and legs at times, mostly in pm and first thing in am.  When checked in Dec. 2010, my Vit D level was 37 (within OK range).  A few weeks ago it was 19.  My doc wanted to put me on 50,000 IUs (or whatever), but I was hesitant due to many probs in the past from meds, etc.  Instead I have been taking 4000 IUs per day and now wonder if I should have followed her advice.  To those taking the massive doses (or injections) or Vit D, have they been helpful?  I also have elevated liver enzymes.  Also am Type 2 diabetic.  Blood glucose which has always been good or borderline suddenly went to 253 --now I'm working hard to bring that down.  Doc put me on metformin a couple of weeks ago.  Currently my blood glucose is  testing at 108-128 first thing in am and 133-148 in pm so it's improving.  But the pins and needles have not gotten better and I wonder about the liver situation.   Anyone out there with all of these symptoms?  Or thoughts in general about this situation?  I'm up writing this at 3:25 am as like everyone else I can't sleep.  It's beyond frustrating.
Noticed your comment about B6 and twitching.  I've taken prox 100 mgs a day of B6 for the past few years since an MD recommended it as a help for "cyclic" edema -- water-retention that moved around throughout my body causing lots of pain.  I guess the B6 helps move fluids through the body or something to that effect.  It definitely made a difference for me, but I've been concerned about taking too much as I know it can adversely affect nerve function.
i was fed up with all the Dr's not knowing what my problem is with the muscles and nerves..tests and tests..everything is fine. sure.. why am i crying and in pain!
i went to a Naturopath .he ordered Vit D test and mine is 30.. some Dr's think lowest should be 40 or  50. the lab said  low is 25 hum...i have neuropathy from medicine i took 15 years ago.....i just started the Vit d3 and we will see.. go to a Naturopath! Dr's are too over worked and do knot know how to balance the body. they just want to give out poison pills. one tried me on neurontin... heavy duty for seizures.. i do not have seizures and need to be able to think.tried 2 pills and said no way!
. another said topamax.. another seizure drug that may help with pain  with lots of side effects (Dopamax!) i said i wil not try.. then she said try the antidepressant Elavil. well that has lots of side effects too..will not take... but  they would not give me pain meds! i am crying for almost 3 months..

now i am on all supplements from the Naturopath. one thing to look for is if your body can't make enough of it's own glutathion sp? you can have weak muscles.. so i take a supplement that is supposed to increase your bodes ability to make glutathion..
Go to the Naturopath Dr. !!!!!!
Hello all.  Just wanted to warn everyone that the usual testing done for Lyme disease is not very accurate so if you took the Western blot and it came back negative, it does not necessarily mean that you don't have Lyme disease.  It's just not a very accurate test and MANY people are misdiagnosed.  I had Lyme disease and experienced many of the symptoms that everyone here is talking about....twitching (on eyelids for me), muscle tenderness, fatigue, headaches.  If you suspect Lyme disease, I would urge you to get blood work examined by a company called Igenex.  They specialize in tick-born diseases and their testing is much more thorough and reliable. There are a couple of other companies that can be used.  A google search should produce these.   Most doctors are ignorant of Lyme and believe wholeheartedly in the Western blot test so you probably won't get much support but if you've tried everything and can't get relief, I would urge you to try this route.  Can't tell you how many people I know that suffered greatly with this disease while many doctors insisted that it wasn't Lyme because of the unreliable Western blot test (myself included).  God bless you all.  
I to have been sufferring for years with unexplained chronic nerve pain. I am recovering from a foot fusion, that had nerve damage done during surgery. @nd surgery done 7 months ago, removing one nerve, repair on another and a neuroma removed. Had terrible nerve pain, tingling can't have anything touch my foot, not even a sock. Also on opposite leg have had 2 nerve blocks this year alone from nerve damage from a femoral hernia from 5 years ago.. My GP the other day ran a vitamin D blood work and I was a 5. So have been on 50,000 a week the last 2 weeks. Well I am not a hundred persent but there has been some improvement so I am going to ask the foot dr if maybe we should hold off on the third foot surgery to see if this will fix the nerve problem in the foot also.  It is amazing that I can at least wear a sock now and can hobble around the house a bit.. Maybe I will walk again without pain.   My concern now is I have been very nauseaed a day after taking the vit D. Second week worse than the first, now I am almost due to take another dose... Is anyone else having problems with nausea?
Hi everyone, i have just come across your posts and it makes me so angry that a simple test for VitD can resolve so many health problems.  I have been suffering from all the symptoms you all state, but particulary tingling in my feet and stabbing pains in my arms arm and legs.  I was convinced I had MS or something like it, so I went to my Doc early January who arranged for various blood tests and said it sounded like a Vit B12 deficiency.  My results were all normal so she said she would refer me to a Neurologist which freaked me out. As i left the surgery she said "oh i should have had your VitD tested also" and gave me a blood test form. She said it could take a couple of months for a referral  so i decided to go private and saw a Neurologist the following week - he said nothing was wrong and suspected i suffered from wrestless leg syndrome.  He did not mention VitD deficiency until i mentioned it.    I have since had the blood test done and have had a msg on phone to say  i need to phone the Doctor (I was on hols so cannot phone now till Monday!) but i suspect it'll be a deficiency in VitD - all my symptoms point to that now, and i am rather relieved.  So why don't Doctors do these blood tests as standard???
I have been having lots of problems.. kidney failure, liver disease, and pins and needles, shooting pain etc.. I have been put on Vit D 3 times now at 50,000 iu a week for 9 weeks as my level was 9.. now I have been sent to the Cleveland Clinic and found out I am pre-diabetic but with all the complications of a full blown diabetic.. I am now in a wheelchair and they said I have neuropathy and that all my probs are a combination.. I also have trigeminal neuralgia, and my bladder does not empty properly so I have to use catheters.. I am 45 and originally from Australia..
have any of you heard of something called MTHFR deficiency? b12 and d3 are involved in the processes that use folate. MTHFR deficiency is a gene mutation that prevents you from using folic acid, so you get low on folate. testing your blood levels of folate wont pinpoint it. the test for elevated homocysteine wont necessarily show it, either, and low folate/high homocysteine is linked to nerve problems, as well as depression/anxiety, gland disorders, fatigue, plaque, chf, infertility/birth defects, and a lot of other seemingly unrelated conditions. your doctor may not have heard of it, but at least 10% of the population has it. if you have any of these other problems, find someone who can test you for MTHFR deficiency and treat it. people with this cant process "folic acid", which is the form supplements come in, so it's important to find someone who is familiar with the protocol.
I recently found out I have high calcium, high PTH levels and low vit D and have been diagnosed with primary hyperparathyroidism - seeing a surgeon next month. I have been suffering from symptoms for years but no doctors ever thought to check for this disease. I was checked for MS etc and finally diagnosed with fibromyalgia - I would never have known except for a bp spike that hospitalized me and an ED doc checked my calcium
Did they tell you why you have trigeminal nerve neuralgia? Is it related to the vit d def? I was just recently diagnosed with vit d def and have had numbness/tingling in my chin. Doctor saying vit d def most likely not the cause but I'm seeing people say they have had that symptom. Just wondering if I'm not the only one with that symptom.
How insightful this community is.  I too have had many of the same symptoms off and on for years.  The burning pain started in my forearms 4 years ago and I sufferred from headaches and what seems like short term memory loss.  Over the years it has come and gone when I was under major stress.  Recently the burning pain has spread to my whole body including my face and scalp plus added twitching in my right thumb and eye and increased memory problems.  Interesting that my sister had the same issues but we had not shared our stories until recently.  She informed me to have my vitamin D level checked because that is finally what they found for her.  I had tried having MRI (ruule out MS), Sed Rate, B12, Neurological exam etc and jsut told it was stress.  Monday found out after asking for Vit D to be checked that it was 15.   I am currently taking 10,000 units a day for a few weeks to than taper down to 5,000 IU and be rechecked in 2-3 months.  

My question is for any of you that have been taking vit D for some time on how long did it take for you to start feeling better and how long had you had the symptoms before starting supplementation.  My concern is that I have had this deficiency for years and could I have permanent damage or have others found it is reversible if primarily tied to Vit d deficiency and supplementation taken.  Secondly, as long as I am taking Vit D3 10,000 IU over the counter a day would that be comparable to those taking the 50,000 units per week prescription.  Any feedback on how long it took to feel better and the feeling on reversing a long term deficiency would be greatly appreciated.   Just mentally knowing that a supplementation could help is priceless and has helped tremendously.  Thanks for your input and support
I also live in New England.   My vit D level was low, so my doctor put me on 1000 IU/day.  No improvement.  However, when my prescription ran out, I found a bottle of 5000 IU capsules, and started taking one of those per day.  What a difference, in just a few days!  More energy, better mood.   I have friends in New England who take 50,000 IU once or twice/week (especially in winter), and 5,000 IU per day is only 35,000 IU per week.  Try a higher dose for a few weeks, see how you feel, and get your levels checked again.  Good luck!
I am a 35 year old and have had same symptoms as many of you for the last  6 weeks or so. Muscle fatigue (particularly in my legs and arms) muscle cramping, and muscle twitching. As many of you my first concern was that these are signs of a neurological disorder. I went to a neurologist and after an MRI on my brain and neck that came out normal he suggested I had my thyroid checked (I do take synthroid for a slow thyroid and he thought maybe my level needed adjusting) so I went to my family doctor and he said that my thyroid was fine but my Vitamin D was low and put me on 50000 iu twice a week for 4 weeks then 1000 a day to maintain. I just finished the 4 week dose and am a little frustrated that the symptoms are not gone I did read an article where it took 3 months for some improvement in vitamin D deficient patients so I am trying to be patient but am glad to see that I am not just going crazy and other people are experiencing what I am. Hope everyone (including myself) gets well soon!
Are you taking D3 or D2?
hi .. did you have a blood test to first see if you were vitamin D deficient ? there are so many things that could cause tingling and pins and needles in hands. since you say you type all the time made you have carpal tunnel syndrome. that could also give that feeling.
Hi Glad i came across this community last year i was losing a lot of weight and my friends and parents told me to go to the doctor turned out it was a vitamin d problem. i was told to sit in the sun for 15 mins each day. I found that it was strange that i was diagnosed with a vitamin D deficiency because i had just spent 3 weeks in sunny Portugal. I too had tingly arms and legs but thought it was my mattress.
This year I have had muscle twitching and spasms for about 6 months with joint swelling and numbing pain and locked knees at times the joints hurt with a dull pain it makes me cry. I get heart palpitations. had a blood test last week they told me today that I am low in Vitamin B12 foltate I dont know if my doctor is still going to refer me to a neurologist he said that he was initially. I have an appointment for the 5th December. They said that it is a non emergency so dont think its serious. Dont know what the treatment will be. I am however looking forward to getting my energy levels back and getting rid of the spasms
Our symptoms sound so similar.  After being on the Vit D supplements for a while now, have you seen improvements?
i too am having it on my face off and on even on my back i dont really have muscle aches just a vitamin d def and tingling
I have numbness and tingeling in my face, throat and up into my right ear, also muscle twitching.  Had MRI's,CT, lyme test...all negative..don't believe I've had vit D test, have to try it.  But it also sounds like lyme can be missed diagnosed...very unnerving (no pun intended) thinking its MS or other neruo..disease.  Doc has mentioned anxiety too, don't believe it is that...The face and neck thing is the worst...anyone else have this???
Like many of you, I too have fatigue, weakness, muscle aches, tingling, eye twitching, arm & leg twitches, night tremors, headaches and feeling spacy.  I get my blood test results in a couple of days from my GP.  I've had low D results before, but have never taken a supplement.

Lots of people have posted here that they were starting vitamin D supplements.  But there hasn't been follow-up messages from everyone whether or not it worked.  I'd sure like to here that taking D works for more of you.  Also, what's the D levels of people that now feel better? Greater than 70, 80, 90?
Good morning
I started having the same symptoms 9 mo ago. I had a Vit D level checked and mine was 33. My physician never told me if was a "low normal". I have been thru an MRI, 2 neurologist, 1 rheumotologist and several appts. My MRI did reveal a small lesion, I was told probable MS. I was freaked out. I just seen a new physician and he told me that the :normal" levels are incorrect and shold be 50-100. So he told me to start on 5000iu which I started about 5 days ago. I don't notice anything yet. You might want to increase your dosage to 5000iu.. Good luck and hope you feel better soon

Shana

By cmacross | 19 minutes
0 Comments Report
Hi please help, I am a 53 year old white female and about 5 years ago I experienced sever nerve pain in both feet ( so bad that I didn't want to stand on them) I also experience muscular pain in both legs, hips, and pelvic area. I was tested for ms but the MRI showed no lesions. I was then diagnosed with sever poly neuropathy ( for unknown reason). I did have gestational diabetes with all 4 of my pregnancies but my routine bloodwork does not show diabetes now. Most recently, (July of 2013) I am experiencing right ear humming and ringing and daily morning headaches in the frontal lobe area. These morning headaches are not like my migraines . I went to my PCM  and he could not find a cause for this ( no testing was done ). However I did have regular bloodwork done and that showed my vitamin D is only 12. I also went to my eye doc for a routine exam and he said I have glaucoma . He doesn't know why I have it because nobody in my family's as ever had it and my age 53 doesn't fit the profile. He is sending me to specialist this week and I am seeing an ear specialist this week. My eye doc wanted to have a better understanding about my nerve pain and my history. He said he is "very suspicious " and is actually questioning  my trust of my PC. Would there be concern for ms with tests proving optic nerve damage, humming in right ear, daily headaches and nearly zero vitamin D. Can someone out the please help me sort this out. Thank you so much.
Hello All,

I'm so happy i found this forum, i have been having so many of these same symptoms, originally thought it was due to an accident that i had.. Guess my coincidence it all started about the same time. I have had several MRI and CT test to check for nerve and neurology disorders and every one has came back negative. I have had x-rays for the joint pain and that's been normal. I been feeling like I'm crazy, i know I'm not making it up but every test was negative. Right now the tingling of extremities, twitching of eyes, and joint pain has been getting worst and worst. Its completely interrupted my life, i can no longer workout or barely walk. Which is causing weight gain but rapidly. I have a pretty good diet so idk weight so much so fast, has anyone else experienced weight gain? I just requested a blood workup so i will request VitD be included after reading this. I just want help, i cant continue to live like this im only 25, just turned a few weeks ago. And these dr bills are starting to really rack up.
Yes, I too have the muscle twitching mostly in my legs.  My level of vit D was like 24 or 25.  I started taking the Vit D2 50,000 units once per week for 8 weeks.  Twitching stopped.  Vit D allows your body to absorb calcium and is a precursor (if that makes any sense turns into D3) in your body.  if Calcium can't be absorbed properly then it stands to reason this would cause some issues including muscle twitches.  Hope that helps!
Hello, i have been experiencing twitching in my gums of my mouth. I barely started taking Vit D 1000 units. I hope it goes away. Any suggestions??
Hi, not sure if you still keep up with this. But i have some of some symptoms too. I go next week for a MRI. I was wondering how things came out for you?

My daughters are 4 years and the other just turned 1. Just thought I share that...lol
Hi everybody!
I' have been having muscle pain , pain in my arms and hands ...numbness and tingling stiffness in my fingers , and muscle fatigue for more than 7 years  now. I was convinced that I was suffering from Arthritis symptoms. i went to many doctors but they couldn't find the cause of my pain , theu just gave me anti-inflammatory drugs , so sometimes the pain disappear for 6 months / or a year and the pain came back again. in 2012 my doctor told me to check my vitamine D and the surprise that my vitamine D level was (4) That was very deficient after reading other posts, but it apparently it's the cause of my problems. He started me on 50000 iu a week for 3 months  , and it really helped me to get rid of my pain . But now the pain came back again with muscle pain in my neck and shoulders and pain and stifness and tingling in my hands and legs .A month ago i checked my vitamine D again and it was (18)  now my doctor put me again on 50.000 iu a week along with the physical therapy ! still no improvement ! Im really fed up with these symptoms . I'm 27 years old male from new york
hi everyone,many doctors dont know about D.Vitamin D do is not a big issue no worries everyone will be ok. pain killers will make more problem if you take for long.

sarah
My Vitamin D is 18 and I have all your sysmtoms you are say above. I also have had blood test to rule out things, Like lupus, lyme, Low B12. I even Had a MRI to rule out MS.

Ever thing is normal beside the Vitamin D.

I'm sure by now you are feeling better.

Best of wishes!
Renee
Could it be because vitamin K2 should be taken with the vitamin D for it to work properly?
hi I'm pretty sure its due to ur diabetic condition ! cause they say that this tingling sensation is present in diabetic people.