Neurology Expert Forum
vp shunt and barometric pressure

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

vp shunt and barometric pressure

My 26 yr old son recently had a new programmable shunt put in. He is occassionally having headaches that seem to happen during heavy cloudy weather.  Could this be caused by barometric pressure, he never had these problems in the past, but this is a new type of shunt after almost two years of severe problems.  What would be the problem pressure being high, low and what would that be for the Detroit, Mi area.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as we are a little antsy about this.
zangeorge
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

First of all people with VP shunts can have primary headache disorders, such as migraines. Has your son ever complained of associated symptoms with the headaches such as sensitivity  to light and/or sound, nausea, vomiting, one-sided headache, throbbing, worse with activity, etc? People with primary headache disorders (and even secondary headache disorders) can have worsening of symptoms with changes in barometric pressure, weather, etc.

Secondly, if he has a new shunt, he may need it to be evaluated by his neurosurgeon to ensure that it is not over-draining or under-draining. This can be easily corrected with valve adjustments.

I suggest that your son discuss his problems with his neurosurgeon.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.