vp shunt
I am 27 years old and I have had a vp shunt since 2 days old because I was born with spina bifida and hydrocephalus. I have never been in a plane and to be honest I am scared to. My question is... Is it safe to fly when you have a vp shunt. I know it was put it to help keep pressure off my brain and also to relieve fluid build up so I am curious. I am wanting to fly to California and I don't know if I can.
Hi. I am not sure the circumstances are the same by I have IIH/PTC and have a VP shunt for over two years.
I have flown , several times, including a long flight , with no problems. The pressure at take off and landing is a bit of a problem, but I am sure I had this before the shunt.
I chew a lot of gum at these times and it helps.
Keep your self hydrated as airplanes do dehydrate you and you don't need this extra dehydration.Drink a lot of water. No alcohol! That will not help, I promise.
Relax and enjoy your trip! Cath278