Neurology Community
weak, heavy arms
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

weak, heavy arms

Over the past year I have had 4 episodes where suddenly both arms get extremly heavy- it feels as if I'm holding 100 lbs. and I cant lift them past my waist.  This is immediatly followed by a tingling sensation in the back of my neck which then covers the whole back of my head to the top. I also feel an overall weakness and need to sit.

The first time it happened, I hadnt eaten all day - (about late afternoon). My legs also felt like jelly and felt shaky. My husband immediatly gave me orange juice. I am not diabetic. Within a few minutes, I felt better and felt fine at the doctor's office an hour later. My doctor thought my sugar was low based on the symptoms and the quick recovery following the OJ. The next three times it happened was after full meals, generally in the afternoon. It comes on quickly out of the blue and is overwhelming and generally the whole episode lasts about 5 minutes. It resolves itself without juice or anything else.My first episode happened when I was 49. I am on Toprol XL for 12 years, 50mg. / day for HTN and rapid heartbeat.  I am prone to migraines but never experience these symptoms near when I have migraine. My migraines are triggered by changes in barometric pressure and hormonal. I have been to a nuerologist for my migraines, and take Excedrin migraine formula. Suggestions?