Neurology Expert Forum
weakened thenar muscles
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

weakened thenar muscles

Hello-
  I have learned alot by reading all the posts, however, I seek some more information pertaining to my particular situation. The thenar muscles in my hand remain very weak and "shake" when I try to use my thumb. This problem has persisted after 2 carpal tunnel surgeries, thumb ligament repair and joint releases. The last cp surgery was 11 months ago, a tissue graft, the tingling is just about gone, but the weakness persists (a few years now) even with exercises. My pinch strength is only about 10% of my good hand. The abductor pollicus brevis in particular, shows some atrophy with visible twitching, and alot of shaking when I try to oppose it. (The joints remain stiffened also, with limited range of motion.)  Things fall out of my hand because my thumb shakes and is weak. I can't "thumb" through a magazine or book like I used to! The muscles/tendons on forearm have to work harder. The last EMG said there was "poylphasia" and tremor, but didn't go into detail, as they were more concerned with confirming carpal tunnel, then with finding out the cause/reason for this problem. My PT says it is either a nerve or muscle problem. One doctor/friend said there was selective innervation, so that some muscles were working, some were not. I will be seeing a neurologist next month to hopefully find out what's wrong.
  Could the motor nerve fibers be damaged or not re-routing right or missing?
  How does something like this get better? Are there procedures to add more muscle/nerves?
  I have "complex regional pain syndrome" in the hand, and am being treated simultaneously at a pain clinic, which includes using a TENS unit. Sometimes I place the electrodes on the thumb area. Is this helpful? So far, I don't see any difference. I would really like my thumb to stop shaking, be stronger, and bend. How can it get better? Thank you very much.