Neurology Expert Forum
weakness in legs

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

weakness in legs

WHAT WOULD YOU CHARACTERISE AS WEAKNESS IN LEGS IN ASSOCIATION WITH ALS. FOR THE LAST MONTH MY KNEE FEELS WEEK AS IF IT IS GOING TO LET ME DOWN EVEN THOUGH  I WALK ABOUT 3 MILES PER DAY. i HAD A NORMAL EMG AND NEURO EXAM A FEW MONTHS AGO AND LAST WEEK HAD MY LEG STRENGH CHECKED, MY ANKLE, KNEE REFLEXES AND BABISINSKI TEST DONE BY A GENERAL DOCTOR AT A HOSTIPAL, HE SAID ALL WERE NORMAL. WHAT IS YOUR OPINION?
ALSO I HAVE STARTED TO HAVE A TINGLY AND TICKLY FEELING SEVERAL TIMES A DAY ON THE ROOF OF MY MOUTH AND ON MY TONGUE AND MY LIPS IS THIS ASSOCIATED TO BULBAR ALS SYMPTOMS.
FINALLY THE FINGERS ON MY LEFT HAND SHAKE AND ALSO WHEN HELD OUT MY LITTLE FINGER MOVES FROM SIDE TO SIDE, MY INDEX FINGER MOVES FORWARD IN SHORT JERKS AND THEN OCCASINALLY MY THUMB AND INDEX FINGER SHAKE WHEN AT REST. I HAVE A FROZEN SHOULDER IN THAT ARM WHICH I HAVE HAD FOR 14 MONTHS AND THE MUSCLE I ORGINALLY INJURED HURTS AS MUCH TODAY AS IT DID ORGINALLY EVEN AFTER A STREOID INJECTION THAT DID NOT WORK. WHAT IS YOUR OPINION.
THANKYOU
ROLLY
Although you are experiencing multiple symptoms, they do NOT sound like the typical presentation of ALS. It is also reassuring that everything looked ok during your formal neuro exam and EMG. Weakness in ALS is due to muscle wasting and abnormal input from the spinal cord to the muscles, NOT joint abrnormalities (you mentioned that the knees were weak). The mouth symptoms are also not typical of bulbar ALS, as this is usually quite serious and is manifested as difficulty swallowing (actually choking on foods), slurred speech, and facial and eye muscle weakness.  Finally, the little shaking you have may be a bit of a postural tremor, a common finding in normal patients. As for the frozen shoulder, that is a primary joint problem that your primary doc and possibly an orthopedist can help you with. Good luck.
I have a queston.   Recently I had a doctor at an MDA clinic perform a little EMG.  On my right leg only.  Would this pick up muscle weakness in other parts or just my right leg?  And Can Bulbar onset be picked up on an EMG?
Fopr the past 10 years I have been living with sciatica and  weakness of the left leg.  The left leg would go out form underneath me for no reason, usually resulting in a fall.
For the last year-and-a-half the right leg has been doing the same.  I had been diagnosed with DJD of the LS spine

The doctor cant get a left knee reflex but CAN get one for the ankle.  I am HIV positive--found that out in '96 (not in a risk group-so have no clue where THAT came from) I am fed up with being told to pop pills and am tired of it to the point of tears.  My life is nowhere near the quality it was before all this started-and its really taken its toll. anyone have any ideas about this???

fuzzy
My mom, who is 76 is deteroriting very rapidly.  At Christmas, she was on the floor playing with Great- grand kids.  About 6 weeks ago, was getting a sore backache and could no longer iron.  Then her legs started getting weak and 2 weeks ago had to get a cane, a week later a walker and now a wheelchair.  She can no longer walk or stand.  When standing she just folds!  The doc isn't finding anything, and we are going back tomorrow as at this rate of downward spiral we need ideas and thoughts to seek help.  Is there tests or diseases or virus anyone can recommend that we suggest to the doc?  Thank you. carol (big mama)
Please email Big Mama at carol_harger***@**** with any help. God Bless You!
Hi, i just read above about something called Postural Tremor? Im kind of wondering what it is and if it is normal?

I have this pain in my upper body between my shoulder blades, but sometimes i feel sharp pains in my lower back, my tail bone, even my genitals. I usually get them when i sit down and when i stand the pain goes away from my genitals but stays in my upper back. Its been like this for about 2 weeks. I think i caused this when i tried to stretch my legs by standing up straight, then with my legs straight i try to touch my toes. When i lie down i start shaking all over my body and its not because im cold because it can happen even if im really warm. Im wondering if this shaking all over the body is 'normal'??
I am trying to avoid hip replacement by taking msm etc. but my legs are so heavy i get exhausted from walking anything over 5 minutes. could the nerves be damaged so that my brain isn't responding? what can i do? I have stenosis, degnerative disc and working with acupuncture to rid sciatic pain. i am so sick of being sick and also getting doctors that tell nothing. I admit to lying about for the past 6 years but could my leg muscles have atrophied THIS much? If i only knew what was wrong maybe i could find a solution.
A related discussion, hip replacement was started.