Neurology Community
what are the risks of getting pregnant if you have Transverse Myelitis ...

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

what are the risks of getting pregnant if you have Transverse Myelitis ?

I have recently been diagnosed with Transverse Myelitis - well i am still in the consultation stages, but this is what i have been signed off work with following a stay in hospital with the relevant treatment.  I am waiting to get a follow up appointment for another MRI scan.  I guess to see if there is any lasting damage.
Prior to TM, which only happened a couple of months ago, my husband and I were trying for a baby, which has now gone on hold.  
Are there any risks if i became pregnant at this stage, so soon after my illness?
can TM affect becoming pregnant?
what if i become pregnant and i have another episode?

I was diagnosed with TM 7 years ago. When I became pregnant 3 years ago I was assigned to a high risk specialist OB who told me that the chance of having an episode or even flare ups during pregnancy was actually very low as the immune system is suppressed during pregnancy. My pregnancy was a very easy one with very few difficulties of any sort. Delivery was great too.

I will however tell you that since the birth of my daughter just over two years ago, I have had several flare ups of symptoms (problems for a few days but not new episodes). The neurologist told me that the toll that the pregnancy took on my body is likely the cause for these flare ups.

This past fall I did have an actual new episode leading to my diagnosis being changed to recurrent TM which is usually pretty rare so you probably don't have to worry about that.

Hope this info helps a bit.
thank you or your reply. That's really helpful. Its really hard to find out any information about TM, let alone pregnancy and TM.

I've now been given the all clear - well at least my last MRI scan showed that the TM was no longer present.

I'm still unsure about whether it is safe to try for a baby.  my husband is worried about the strain that it will have on my body etc

It is a worry, but we want a family and we're not getting any younger..

i can't seem to get any guidance from my consultant or doctor...

i hope you are well.

I have had GBS 4 times by the time I was 24 years old. It seemed to stop after the Doctors washed my blood the last time. I am 52 years old now. Good luck and good management. BSH