Neurology Community
what is microvascular ischemic disease of the brain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

My mother has been getting dizzy and falling (resulting in broken bones) regularly for the last 3 years.  She's 84 years old, has severe COPD, high blood pressure that's under control, high cholesterol, and dementia.  Prior to the first fall 3 years ago, she was walking everywhere, as much as 4 or more miles in a day and had a bit of forgetfullness, mild breathing problems and high blood pressure and cholesterol.  Less than a year after the first fall she not only fell two more times requiring hospitalization, but she then needed oxygen 24/7.  She's been hospitalized 7 times in the last 3 years and is currently in the hospital.  She fell again on 7/12 and while bruising was present, the worst was heart failure.  It seems her veins shut down and the blood backed up into her heart. Per the doctors she was minutes away from a massive heart attack and/or stroke.  Since then the hospital transferred her to a nursing home for sub acute and upon her release she still couldn't stand up or sit down on her own.  I had her admitted to Rusk Rehab here in NYC for acute care and she's doing somwhat better - but I've had to force the issue of determining what the cause of these dizzy spells and falls are.  Yesterday I was told that the result of the brain MRI & CT scan showed that she has severe microvascular ischemic disease.  I was told that there's nothing to be done about it,  that this is the probable reason for the dizzy spells/falls and she will continue to have them.

I'd like to know what microvascular ischemic disease is and what can be done to treat it.   Can you tell me if people who have this condition are likely to suffer brain anurisms, strokes or something else?  I'd also like to know what other tests should be done to see if there are any other contributing factors.
What is microvascular ischemic disease?