Neurology Expert Forum
what to do now

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

what to do now

i had back surgery in 2001 which i think made it worse but i got used to it after awhile.But for the last two years its been getting unbearable.The doctors have put me on hydros and tried one kind of shot,but that doc said if it didnt work that was it i needed another surgery.I didnt accept this and found a pain clinic that is going to try a few different shots.I however dont want another surgery unless i have to.Is there anything i can do myself as in stretching or exersize,and could you give me a list of options to surgery because my doctors wont offer any sugestions and i would li,ke to know what to ask about.I know there are lots of options days because you hear about them all the time,but as i said the docs wont tell me what they are.They just want to cut on me it seems.I am also an iron worker so im pretty hard on my body just working.Do i need to stop doing this for a living or is there hope for my back? I am 38 years old,way to young in my opinion to be acting like a broken down old man.         THANKS ,KERRY
Tags: L4, l5, L6
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

There is a condition that may result post back surgeries called failed back surgery. It usually occurs in patients who do not have clinical or imaging evidence of nerve compression. Or it may be a result of the surgery not removing all of the herniated disc, postoperative inflammation/scarring, surgery at the wrong spinal level, muscle spasm or psychosocial issues. Treatment would include re-operation, chronic pain intervention, rehabilitation, and/or neuropathic medications. It sounds like you may fall in this group. With regards to herniated disc management, for the majority of people, non-surgical treatments are an option. These include medications (non-steroidals such as advil), temperature therapy (hot or cold packs), stretching and controlled physical therapy, muscle relaxants, and so on, these are best prescribed by an experienced physician (e.g., PM&R), each has its own indications. I cannot give advice on specific exercises; however, I would recommend that you follow up with your primary care physician and obtain a referral to a physical therapist. He/she can provide you with exercises and also techniques that may help you on your job.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.