Neurology Community
white spots mri brain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

white spots mri brain

My dr ran mri etc.tests and lumbar puncture. He says we need to find out what's causeing white spots all over my brain mri? - had brain surgery in 1981 for right temporal lobe. Wondering cause. Thank you
How old are you? Your brain has white matter that is natural after a certain age.
Hello jdoer,
ever had a myelogram (x-ray with a dye (oil) if so when and where did they injected you,  'in middle of lumbar area?
Another cause of white spots all over the brain MRI can be small vessel ischemic disease, usually caused by high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, sometimes migraines, etc.  As they asked me, do you take aspirin daily?

Oops, by all over the brain MRI, did he say it was in the white matter of the brain?

If it were me, I would ask the doc what he though the possible causes might be.

The white matter does usually show some spots as we age, sometimes a few in the 40s, more in the 50s,  more so in the 60s and up.  If your doctor says they are "all over" and he wants to figure out for sure what's causing them, he must have some ideas in mind, or he would simply write them off as "normal for aging" as many doctors do.

Has he scheduled any tests?  When do you see him again?  Maybe you could make a list of questions you would like to have answered (it helps me!) the next time you see him.

Take care