Neurology Community
whole left side hurts to touch

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

whole left side hurts to touch

i am 35 yrs old i have a history of grandmal seizures & ice pick migraines.i have anxiety & have been under alot of stress.i had a crainotmy 2 yrs ago for a pituitary tumor.i have headaches every day.drs are confused on whats going on.i get sharp stabbing pain in my left temple.now my whole left side of head is sore to touch.from the top strait down the back around my ear to the temple of the whole left side of my head its hurts to touch &brush my hair.had mri no tumor it was ok.im not on any meds but diliantin for seizures.i had a very bad headache &just wanted to know if that would make it sore? thanks for your help
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Is the pain usually on one side of the head ?

Is it persistent or does it disappear from time to time?

What relieves it?

Lightly touching the affected area causes pain?

Is there numbness over the affected side?

The pain appears to be nerve related. Trigeminal neuralgia which affects 5th cranial nerve may lead to severe pains near the eyes, nose and lips.Carotidynia may cause pain near the temples and the neck.They may be associated with some viral infections but most causes are unknown.Medications are initially given for relief of symptoms.

I suggest you discuss this with your physician.

All the best.

the pain is allways on left side same side of sugery.when it hurts like this it last for at least 3 days.this is the first time its hurt in the back of my head.i havent found any thing that helps.sit in dark and no noise.it almost feels like a blister under my scalp.it hurts to touch my head or hair cant brush when it hurts like this.i have went to 2 neu they both said i was very compacated.no help or meds to help.im at a loss and just gave up.my mom gets this to.she tells me its from having a really bad headache .could that be all it is?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

With the way you describe the pain, this sounds to be nerve related.

Aside from migraines, other conditions may cause similar symptoms: Trigeminal neuralgia and carotidynia have been mentioned.No single definite diagnostic test is used to diagnose these and usually diagnosis is made when other causes have been ruled out.

An MRI may be requested to rule other conditions.An assessment by the ENT spcialist may rule out ENT causes of the pain.A dental examination will exclude any tooth infections that may refer pain ohe head and neck.

A rare type of adult onset headache called paroxysmal hemicrania may present with sharp headaches that may involve the neck.
A neurologist or rehabilitation medicine specialist may help you further evaluate your condition.

All the best.
thanks for your reply.neuorligst said i have faucet joint syndrome.i have slipped disk c5.had steriod shots it made it worse.neu wants to do sugrey.i cant find the strenth to do it.my oitiutary sugery wasalmost 8 hrs long.i have no one to help me rest & recover.my husband works & i have 3 kids with school in its impossable.i dont know if thats where all my pain is comming from.last yr dr said disk was getting better.will it get worse again &will i have no choise but to have the sugery?it just scares me to think i may get parilezed.
Hi my name is Angie and Im 36 years old, and I have been wanting to ask a question about whats going on with me. Almost every day my left side of my body would hurt including me head. My left leg, arm, face, waist, and my back. My whole left side would hurt, and I cant stand it anymore. ''what could it be? "Do I have something wrong with me?