Neurology Expert Forum
why burning sensation in my body?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

why burning sensation in my body?

I have a burning sensation arms,back, neck, mouth and feet.  My feet , arms and hand wake me up numb.  My insides, even in my vaginal area is burning, tingling.  If you have any idea, I have been taking Gabapentin about a week per my neurologist and it seems to come back despite the meds. We think it is nerve related, but could it be any other cause? Iam 60 and this has been going on for couple of month and getting worse.
1 Comment
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I cannot tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

It is difficult to know if you are suffering from a nerve problem without being able to do a physical exam to understand the distribution of your sensory deficits.  If your neurologist has not already done so, an EMG (electromyography) study may help clarify if your nerves have suffered any damage.  A peripheral neuropathy (damage to the peripheral nervous system) may be a possibility.  Peripheral neuropathy has many causes including diabetes, autoimmune diseases, heavy alcohol use, inherited disorders, trauma, vitamin deficiencies, hypothyroidism, and tumors.  Bloodwork can be sent to screen for some of these causes.  

In some cases, the impairment from a neuropathy may only involve, or predominantly involve the small nerve fibers, and these patients can also experience pain, burning, tingling, and numbness.  It is possible in these cases for the results of EMG testing to return normal, and other workup, such as a skin biopsy, may be pursued.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.