Neurology Community
why can we not be diagnosed as disabled Bulging discs indenting

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Why can we not be diagnosed with some sort of illness, Not that i want to be disabled but i feel it half the time and confidence has gone in many ways and being a self-employed cleaner has literealy gone out the window!
I had MRI in May to find a large disc indetning on spinal cord causing compression on nerves C5-C6 and a protusion of another disc lower and the pain in hands and the nerves that affect other parts of the body is over whelming at times, also the staggering and slurring and speech probs and the affect on the bladder too now and again and buttox and legs front and back. I have been passed from pillar to post regarding this ..do they want to wait until i do something so i can do anything at all to make a decision.. In the beginning it is like hving all the symptoms of MS they are very similar and it is darrn well scarey when you have kids and work. It flares up all the time and my neck went 3 times in few months.
since i have read so many of your posts i do not feel alone but what i do not like doing is sometimes i feel as though am moaning at home when they argue over stupid things and i will just burst at times, telling them to stop being so ungrateful for the energies and life they have cos its changed mine! .. I get treat at times like i am disabled so may aswell diagnose me as one.. I am not one to be defeated either but will keep on and on and on doing things. I can no longer hoover up as it causes either pain in the hands to worsen or the pressure in my head to flare up (thats mi job lol) I hear many stories also of the results regarding the operation so am sceptical and fearful. They have offered injections but i would just like to know errrrrrrrrm WHEN?? as 8 mnths an still ongoing ..I am very tolerant aswell, as last year i had a hernia operation and found myself almost permanently in bed for 2 and half wks and in that time rushed to hospital as could not get out of bed to the loo!! i have a nerve wrapped around a screw, after felt some relief but have never ever been the same since and suffered sciatica and hardly walking at times and in my body.. I have more frown lines in this past year than i have in a lifetime.. I have been told aswell that my left eye is starting to drift a bit and my slurring is getting more often and even though am not stupid enough to hold something in my weak hand i just drop things anyway and am clumsy.. its a nightmare and jumbling up words and memory and concentration is terrible too .. xxx

This discussion is related to Spinal Cord Compression.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. I understand that you have either disc compression and prolapsed at both cervical and lumbar levels causing both upper and lower limb symptoms. The management includes after analgesics for pain, epidural injection of steroids, physiotherapy, and surgical decompression. MRI spine need to be done to reconfirm and to check for cervical stenosis. This is a slowly progressive condition that pinches spinal cord, with accompanying myelopathy. the symptoms would be heaviness in legs, inability to walk briskly, loss of fine motor skills like buttoning shirt, arm pain and shooting pain in arms and legs. Treatment Is immediate decompressive surgery. Hope this help. Consult a neurologist urgently and take care.

I was diagnosed in April 2011 as having a C5-C6 significant disc protusion compressing the C6 nerve and indenting the spinal cord.  I've had this since a car crash in April 2010. One of my first symptoms was my left shoulder raising two inches higher than the right over a 2 month period. Is this a known symptom for this injury? In Jan 2011 my left front lower ribs protruded out more than the right, a spinal specialist said as my shoulder is raised it could be pulling my ribs up, is this common? I've got coldness/numbess/pain in my left arm/hand which started after 6 physio sessions stopped (Aug 2010) and sometimes I now get shocks from my neck travelling down my arms to both hands. Recently I've had bladder problems followed by left groin pain. I'm now being referred for urology investigations but wonder whether the cause is actually my neck? My neurologist referred me to a neurosurgeon in May and said I'd be seen in within a month but my appointment didn't arrive until Sep 2011 and it's for Jan 2012. I'm quite concerned with being left all this time with all these problems in case they end up being permanent or getting worse. On top of this I wad diagnosed with Trochanteric Bursitis in Dec 2010. Originally I only had pain to the left of my thigh when I exercised or stretched it (8 physio sessions made it worse but I was getting this treatment around the time of my car crash). Now I've got extreme buttock pain in my left bone when I sit and the left bone at the bottom of my back (above my buttock), again I'm wondering if this is related to my neck injury? I'm now waiting to see a hip surgeon. I just feel that I'm going to all these different people and wondering whether it's really necessary as I don't want the wrong treatment? Any advice please?
Thankyou Dr for your comments, I think they are prolonging situation, as i know that Neurosurgeons are far and few in Leeds, the one in Sheffield left and the only reason i know this is because of customers i have that are Dr's but they cannot help me with my problems nor do they discuss anything as i am  not their patient.
I had white fingers in the beginning and numbness in on finger and they said at Rheumotology other wk that my reflexes are messed i do not really understand any of that. I have to chauffeur my daughter to and from my jobs as i am keeping it going to the best i can but am losing custom slowly and lots of money too, because i do not know where i stand or what to do with my job (this bothers me the most) because if i do not have surgery i know i may aswell pack the self-employment in, but i do feel we should be allowed even 'temporary' disabled badges as its difficult carrying things even small things, I use a little over should bag now and thats heavy at times. I never feel myself anymore and i am not a moaner at all.. is this something i will just have to live with and take it easy or it will possibly gradualy get worse. As for the buttons am ok! it is if i try make my bed by the time i have got the cover on my left arm is almost useless so my right has to do it (this is where they say am complicated as i should be more right sided problems and i am both). Physio have disowned me all 3 places! Everytime a physical is done this provokes it and my left leg is like a lead weight at times when doing things so is my left arm. The pains i have though even touching and stirring something. Pregabilin helps but not a cure by any means or i would be in A &E begging for surgery . Standing is quite hard at times too vertigo feeling and i feel very heavy.
To Blondie I am sorry you have problems too and sounds more complicated than mine and i hope they do get you sorted, I first had probs 2010 and it is since the nerves have been touched and tampered with this is where its all gone to pot really. I wish you well and can chat anytime. I have similar things mine is all from my neck but the buttox etc i have similar too and down front and back of leg and in the base of foot xxxx
Yes it is the worst thing 'not knowing' what is going to happen or telling you what you should do except simple things like do not lift anything heavy or careful bending, stretching twisting etc. Is this permanent we want answers for not just for the time being and other posts i have read and i have customers who are elderly wiht similar problems are all saying to me thats it once it happens. I do not want to continue the work i do stressing myself out if i am gradualy going to make matters worse but i keep thinking positive about it that it will go away, although back of my mind i think if i carry on pushing my self i will deteriorate aswell. I have many similar things you have but not the other that you was diagnosed with. I get so many symptoms its unreal at times..ohhh whats on menu this wk i think. I have a great family (hubby and kids) who always do things, but my worst is my job and my 2 white german shepherd dogs i am struggling to walk them as cannot do on a lead and not done for near a year now because of my neck and the pain with pulling. and its the cleaning up aswell of htem every single day it is getting toooo much.