why does my shoulder hurt and my fingers are numb
yesterday(2/11/10) my shoulder began to hurt under the shoulder blade. it feels as if someone is pinching me and there are only certain ways to move my left arm, if i move the wrong way it feels like my muscle i ripping apart. my neck hurts sometimes and it sometimes hurts down my back to my hip. also my ring finger and pinky finger on my left arm are numb i can't seem to wake them up. there was numbness to my elbow on the side, but it seems to come and go. I have been having these throbbing headaches too, they accured before the shoulder pain, i am not sure if they relate. I would like to know if there is an opinion about my situation that it might be a pinched nerve or what. Information would be great before i have to make a doctors appointment. Thank You!
Thank you for your question. Most likely, your symptoms may be due to Cervical spondylosis or due to nerve irritation in the cervical (neck) spine because of injury/prolapse where contact between the edges of the vertebrae can cause neck pain. In few people, this pain may be referred and perceived as occurring in the back of head as throbbing pain, shoulders, arms or chest, rather than just the neck. Other symptoms may include vertigo, nausea (dizziness) that you felt. However, symptoms like neck pain and stiffness can be intermittent. It will be best that you consult a neurologist who would like to prescribe painkillers, steroid and muscle relaxants. Other treatments could be cervical orthosis such as a soft cervical collar/stiffer neck brace to restrict neck movement. In addition, the doctor may also suggest cervical traction, if condition is severe. Hope this helps.