Neurology Community
winged scapula

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

winged scapula

3018451?1213061344
Hi, I have winged scapula - i injured my rt shoulder in 2000 and noticed about 2 years later i had winged scapula - this year in feb noted pain rt shoulder and back of rt shoulder - seeing physio and she gave me stretching and strengthening exercises - i started feb 29th and by end of march 08 i had flare up of rt shoulder that i had hard time to move rt shoulder - i am a nurse and was still nursing while doing physio- few times / wk initially.  I was put off work in april 2008 because of rt shoulder pain - i saw an orthopedic surgeon who assessed me without even looking at my back - which has changed over time - my shoulders are rotating in , i have a hump re cervicle part of spine, winged rt
scapula.  my shoulders from front view look like i'm shrugging slightly.  I was told by physio that it wasn't that bad but i had brought in pics re what my shoulders were like 51/2 years ago when married.  she noticed from that that they
are slightly elevated.  The orthopedic surgeon said my winged scapula wasn't that bad- and to continue re physio.  In
April we stopped the exercises for few weeks and during that time i then started with increase in swelling (hump ) re cervicle spine and pressure ++ sitting on that area- physio started taping me to support structures re thoracic spine and this relieved the pressure cervicle spine x 24 hrs and then gradually came back.  I also had some manual therapy re cervicle spine to help with the pressure from my physiotherapist.  Long story short, I find since physio things are worse - short term effects only and I now have sore Rt shoulder, twinges down back some and pressure re cervicle part of neck.  I live in Canada ( New Brunwick ) and my doc does not know anything re winged scapula.  I now have a consult re neurologist- no time yet.  They want to send me to extensive rehab program.  I have been researching on line re this problem and I am scared re more exercise ?? making  things worse.  I am also reading different tests re checking for impingement / impairment of nerves but some things say they are inconclusive while other things say it can diagnose what is wrong???  I am so confused - and not sure where to turn.  I need help and need to know who is the best doc for me to see in Canada re this problem and find out what is wrong. My family doc also ?'d whether my posture was problem or my busts.  I told her my posture has always been straight and my bust haven't changed size.  
Hi there.

I'm sorry to learn that everything seems to be getting worse.  Unfortunately, there are no full proof solutions for the winging of scapula except for religious rehabilitation program.  The problem with winged scapula is that the nerve supplying the muscles controlling the scapula is already not functioning, and at the present technology, nerve regeneration is still not perfected.  The best way to deal with this is to do exercises under the guidance of a physical therapist, to strengthen other muscles that hopefully will compensate for the loss of function of the other muscles.  

I'm wishing you all the best and I hope that you will stay strong in facing this.  I'm looking forward to your neurologist consult as this may help you clear some things up.

Take care and God bless.