Neurosurgery Expert Forum
Brain aneurysm, right MCA

Welcome to the International Neurosurgery forum. This forum is moderated by Dr. Abi Chahine who is affiliated with St. George Hospital in Beirut, Lebanon

Brain aneurysm, right MCA

Have undergone clipping for traumatically caused symptomatic, non-ruptured right  MCA aneurysm. Good  result.   Improvements in visual and auditory abnormalities, ataxia, muscle tone and weakness, balance, posture, speech,  hemiplaegia, cognitive functions, pain, seizure disorder, post-traumatic migraine and ischaemia, etc..Looking for return to normalcy.  Appropriate therapies? Any suggestions ?
Don't move, keep smiling to life or even smile more.
I would like to know since how long that happened, so give me more information about your accident.
treatmnet with:
1-- Citicholine Syrup 2 ml three times daily for 2 months
2-- Naftidrofuryl Oxalate 200 mg three tabs daily for two months
3-- Folic acid, Ginco Biloba, vitamin B1, 3, 6, 5, 12 in a standard dose
would be an excellent course.
Do not do strong sports. Prevent coughing, kepting a sneezing or having constipation !
Hearing from you all the best my friend
Thank you for your kind words. The accident was more than 10 years ago. It was a rear end high impact MVA with a twist to the left and additional twists and impacts. Onset of symptoms at this time but a CT scan was not done until quite recently, by which time the symptoms had continued to worsen.
Would you tell me a bit about the function of the items you recommend?
As for over exertion,coughing etc, are you concerned about clip failure with marked changes in blood pressure??
Look  lets start with the most concerning matter since your accident happened quiet long time ago.

You excellently know about your aneurysm but me, I am not too convinced by the theory of a traumatic intracranial aneurysm. it should be a previous somehow predisposition to thattaking in concideration the location of the aneurysm in the brain.

Ok now about what so called clip failure; this could theoretically happen but practically very very rare. whereas a clip could fail to assure its total function after repetetive trauma. TAKE in concideration that aneurysm is a defective artery wall, it may include all the 3 layers of this wall, having sometime a "neck" which could be clipped but BUT the neck could FURTHERLY elongate. I am not telling you that, to terrify you :) at all but this is totally wrong to think that a clip resolved the issue for good.
So add to my advices about prevention of hard activities, one more important thing: control brain MRI every 2 years untill you will be sure that the clipped aneurysm is totally "sleepy". this could be confirmed after around 5 such exams, so 10 - 15 years of stability. THERE ARE NO guidelines about this type of control and this is purely my personal opnion.

And about medications they are mainly; boosting to the neuronal activity, dilatators to the injured arteries, becase after an intracranial hemorrhage a reactional constriction of the neighboring arteries take place; anyways now I know that the accident happened long time ago  so no need for medications at all.
you should happily live your life