Neurosurgery Expert Forum
Coma after sever back of head trauma injury

Welcome to the International Neurosurgery forum. This forum is moderated by Dr. Abi Chahine who is affiliated with St. George Hospital in Beirut, Lebanon

My little brother has been in a coma for 3 days now after sustaining a head injury to the back of the head while falling backwords on pavment. Right now hospital says that he is in "stable" condition, but would not provided prognosis, which is kind of scaring me.

I am hoping to find a medical doctor or exper who can read the report and provide with at least diagnosis and prognosis. What is the severity of the injury? What is the likelyhood he will wake up from his coma? How long are usually for this kind of case? I need some peace of mind. This report has a lot of medical sense that only a doctor will make sense of the situation.

Medical report:

Technique: Non contrast CT scan of the brain with multiplanar reconstractutions and VRT

Findings:
Multiple comminuted fractures of teh skull base are seen involving the left occipital bone and extending through the mastoid and petrous part of left temporal bone. Another transverse fracture is also notes at base of right petrouis bone.  Fracture of the body sphenoid reaching up to the sella turcica.
High density material (average 40HU) is seen filling both nasal fossae ethmoidal aircells and both sphenoid sinus compartments as well as left mastoid aircless and middle ear cavity.
Large cephalhmeatomas are noted at the left occipitopareiral region.
Diffiuse attenuation of cortical sulci, fissures, basal and perimesencepahlic cisterns and makred narrowing of cerberal.
Totoal loss of gray-white matter descrimination
fresh bloood density is nited within the basal cisterns.

the injury is very serious, many meds can help, even i am not allowed to discuss brands and doses, can update me with the treatment he is taking today
Hi Dr. Nassim,
My brother had an EEG test peformed yesterday, the finding of the report "shows sigins of suggestive brain death".

Is this enough to declare someone a brain dead? Is EEG alone enough to reach this conclusion? What is the possibility that the EEG findings are the result of the seriouse tramatic injury and the person might somehow come out of his coma?

The nuerosurgeon stated that while a flat EEG is an indicator of brain death, it can't be used alone to determine brain death since its only been 3 days since his injury. Some doctors suggested that more tests like "genogram" where some color is given to my brother than some electric shocks applied?

What is your medical opinion?
Unfortunately we dont have a clear-cut technique to declare someone's death but the majority of flat EEGs end with a cardiac arrest in the future period, we cannot define the period well because each body and age differently resist to this devastating low brain voltage
A related discussion, coma after accident was started.