Neurosurgery Expert Forum
Disc fragment & Macrophage Resorption of fragment material versus s...
About This Forum:

Welcome to the International Neurosurgery forum. This forum is moderated by Dr. Abi Chahine who is affiliated with St. George Hospital in Beirut, Lebanon

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Disc fragment & Macrophage Resorption of fragment material versus surgery
I injured my lower back on 7-Apr-2010.  I had one epidural injection then an MRI on 14-Apr-2010.  The MRI showed normal L-1, L-2, & L-3 for my age without stenosis.  At L-5: This flattens the ventral thecal sac without significant central spine stenosis or lateral recess stenosis.  There is facet hypertrophy & likely a minimal annular tear.  At S-1: There is mild dessication and disc space narrowing.  There is disc extrusion with inferior migration of a sequestered fragment that measures 7 mm.  The fragment is slightly to the left of midline & contacts the thecal sac and exiting S-1 nerve root.  There is mild edema & enlargement of the left S-1 nerve root.  No significant nerve root compression or thecal sac compression.

Current (Apr-2010) MRI Radiology & Surgical Review of MRI / Impression: Min facet hypertrophy at L-3-L-4; Mild degenerative disc & facet disease L-4-L-5 without stenosis. L-5-S-1 disc extrusion with a sequestered disc fragment.  The disc material that migrates inferior from the disc & contacts the ventral thecal sac and left S-1 nerve.
Progress:  Since The 7-Apr-2010 injury to L-5-S-1 with disc fragment as above I have had 2 transforaminal epidural injections to L-5-S-1 area.  I have had some improvement in symptoms to my left lower back, leg, & foot.  Initially I had severe LBP and pain to my calf with numbness to entire left foot.  Now I have some numbness to left foot (2nd, 3rd, & 4th toes and sole of foot extending towards heal from the toes as listed) and some aching to left calf and lower back.  I was initially unable to walk on the front part of my left foot – but now I am able to do this.  I have intermittent tenant pain and consistent tingling of left foot.

Questions:  
I want to know if the fragment will resorb or be absorbed by my body over time.
I would like to know if surgery is required to avoid nerve damage from the fragment.
I would like reference resources that have tracked disc fragments over time.
Discussion is closed
Cancel
3 Answers
Page 1 of 1
623823 tn?1357420257
best option: open surgery for herniectomy and discectomy
Discussion is closed
Cancel
Comment
Questions:  
I want to know if the fragment will resorb or be absorbed by my body over time.
I would like to know if surgery is required to avoid nerve damage from the fragment.
I would like reference resources that have tracked disc fragments over time.
Discussion is closed
Cancel
Comment
Dr. Nassim Abi Chahine, MD;
Thank you for taking the time to review my post.  However:  I am looking for definitive answers and/or research regarding whether or not the fragments will be resorbed and if so, in what time frame.
Discussion is closed
Cancel
Comment
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488 tn?1310696703
Blank