Neurosurgery Expert Forum
Disc fragment & Macrophage Resorption of fragment material versus s...

Welcome to the International Neurosurgery forum. This forum is moderated by Dr. Abi Chahine who is affiliated with St. George Hospital in Beirut, Lebanon

Disc fragment & Macrophage Resorption of fragment material versus surgery

I injured my lower back on 7-Apr-2010.  I had one epidural injection then an MRI on 14-Apr-2010.  The MRI showed normal L-1, L-2, & L-3 for my age without stenosis.  At L-5: This flattens the ventral thecal sac without significant central spine stenosis or lateral recess stenosis.  There is facet hypertrophy & likely a minimal annular tear.  At S-1: There is mild dessication (desiccation) and disc space narrowing.  There is disc extrusion with inferior migration of a sequestered fragment that measures 7 mm.  The fragment is slightly to the left of midline & contacts the thecal sac and exiting S-1 nerve root.  There is mild edema & enlargement of the left S-1 nerve root.  No significant nerve root compression or thecal sac compression.

Current (Apr-2010) MRI Radiology & Surgical Review of MRI / Impression: Min facet hypertrophy at L-3-L-4; Mild degenerative disc & facet disease L-4-L-5 without stenosis. L-5-S-1 disc extrusion with a sequestered disc fragment.  The disc material that migrates inferior from the disc & contacts the ventral thecal sac and left S-1 nerve.
Progress:  Since The 7-Apr-2010 injury to L-5-S-1 with disc fragment as above I have had 2 transforaminal epidural injections to L-5-S-1 area.  I have had some improvement in symptoms to my left lower back, leg, & foot.  Initially I had severe LBP and pain to my calf with numbness to entire left foot.  Now I have some numbness to left foot (2nd, 3rd, & 4th toes and sole of foot extending towards heal from the toes as listed) and some aching to left calf and lower back.  I was initially unable to walk on the front part of my left foot – but now I am able to do this.  I have intermittent tenant pain and consistent tingling of left foot.

Questions:  
I want to know if the fragment will resorb or be absorbed by my body over time.
I would like to know if surgery is required to avoid nerve damage from the fragment.
I would like reference resources that have tracked disc fragments over time.
best option: open surgery for herniectomy and discectomy
Questions:  
Dr. Nassim Abi Chahine, MD;
Thank you for taking the time to review my post.  However:  I am looking for definitive answers and/or research regarding whether or not the fragments will be resorbed and if so, in what time frame.