Neurosurgery Expert Forum
Ice Pick Headaches for 2 years. 18 years old.

Welcome to the International Neurosurgery forum. This forum is moderated by Dr. Abi Chahine who is affiliated with St. George Hospital in Beirut, Lebanon

Hi, my names Charlotte and since around September 2008 I have been experiencing what I have research "ice pick headaches". I am not any way near 100% sure if its this, just sounds like them.

I am over weight, around 167cm height, I am 18 years old and have been getting these since I was 16. When I started getting these I was not under stress as I had left full time education that June and was not in college nor had a job. So there was nothing to stress over. When I was around the age of 9 I hit the back of my head relatively hard on a brick wall and went dizzy straight away and a lump appeared and my friends had to escort me home as I was unable to work straight. My mum took me to the hospital and they gave me an injection which I assume was to stop me being sick and told me to go home. Also last October I fell forward down the stairs from the third stair and there is a small table at the bottom which I hit my head. I blacked out for around 10 seconds until my friends and family rolled me over and asked me questions, I did not throw up or anything which my friends said, but I was very drunk as it was my 18th birthday.

I saw my local GP 2-3 times and he sent me away stating it was stress, when I clearly had nothing to stress over, he did not check my blood pressure or run any tests. So my sister sent me to another GP where she took these tests, plus eye tests as I was born with a Congenital Squint and 2D vision, and all came back fine. Also blood test. I took some medication called Pizotifen (or something) which helped but when my GP referred me to a neurosurgeon she put me on Topamax, and another or depression, and she thinks I my be stressed not as I am now currently working and in college. Sort of working, but pains are more intense, less but more strong.

My mums sister and aunt both had fluid around the brain but that was found with an eye test, but my eye test was fine.

Any help appreciated.
Be far from physicians !! you are a normal girl...