Neurosurgery Expert Forum
Low grade Astrocytoma
About This Forum:

Welcome to the International Neurosurgery forum. This forum is moderated by Dr. Abi Chahine who is affiliated with St. George Hospital in Beirut, Lebanon

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Low grade Astrocytoma

Hi,

My mother was diagnosed with low grade astroyctoma 3 years ago. She has had symptoms like seizures since then and is on a heavy dose of anti-epilectic medicines.
Her symptoms include full-blown seizures ( once every 5-6 months) and mini seizures - lasting 2-3 minutes - loss of memory  ( almost 5-6 every month)

We have had her MRI done every 6 months to monitor the growth - and there has been no tangible growth so far.

Lately, she has reported phantom smells, and burning sensation in her throat and watery eyes whenever she has a blocked nose because of cold.

Her next MRI is due and we will be consulting the neurologist about this - but I want to get an idea that - Do these new symptoms indicate that there might be growth in the tumor?

The family's decision is to postpone the brain surgery for as long as possible, for all the risks involved. But if her condition is degrading, do we need to consider surgery in the near term ?

I would appreciate if you can please give your opinion on this matter.

regards
HB