Neurosurgery Expert Forum
MVD for Tinnitus

Welcome to the International Neurosurgery forum. This forum is moderated by Dr. Abi Chahine who is affiliated with St. George Hospital in Beirut, Lebanon

MVD for Tinnitus

I had MVD of the 7/8th cranial never for tinnitus.  I had vascular loop that the surgeon pulled out and placed a teflon sponge in place.  I still have tinnitus and it's been two weeks.  I had two days of quiet around day 4-5 post surgery.  Does this mean that it's back for good?  or could it get better with time.  I assumed that if it was going to work it would have worked immediately.  do you know?
Sorry Corrina for the late answer, hope you are better now, but if you still have the tinnitus my advice to you is to wait for - at least - 6 months after that period we can assume the final result of the teflon. i understand that the surgeon had to double secure his work by removing the vascular loop and by the insertion of teflon. You cannot think of a chronic damage in case of the eights nerve! also you did not sent me any info about your sensory and motor facial symptoms. waiting for your message. Dr Nassim
I am still having the tinnitus.  I understand what you are saying about the surgeon being double secure in pulling the loop out as well as inserting the teflon sponge.  I wasn't sure what you meant by 'you cannot think of a chronic camage in case of the eights nerve!'

In answer to your questions my symptoms were strictly tinnitus with infrequent vertigo and nausea.  I am lucky I didn't have Trigeminal Neuralgia symptoms that would be terrible; although constant tinnitus is horrible.

I just wonder if this surgery will actually work?  It has bee three weeks now and I wasn't given any promises about it really working.  The only reason they did the surgery was because there was no other logical cause for my pusatile tinnitus.  All my MRI and MRA showed was a vascular loop on the same side at the symptoms, the other side nothing and all other neck/brain was normal (r/o tumour).

I have heard something about a venous hum?  I don't even know who I would talk to about that my ENT or Neurologist?  It seems that the turbulent blood is causing the tinnitus because when I press on my neck it stops also when I do the valsalva manuever and open my eustatian tubes It abates for 30 seconds to 1 minute; then when i move my jaw or yawn and my eustation tube closes the roaring turbulent pulsing starts again.  

Such a sad problem for me; I hope that by six months it's gone.  Thank you for your help I am so desparate.

Corrina, Victoria Canada
further...........this was my MRI result before surgery.

The left anterior-inferior cerebellar artery loops into the proximal internal auditory canal, the clinical significance of which is uncertain.

The intracranal vasculature is otherwise normal in appearance. The brain parenchyma is normal. The ventricles and basal cisterna are patent. The sinus and orbits are normal.
after this explanation i understand that you did the neurosurgery without ENT consultations!!! now it is really late to find the cause because you already did the brain surgery. please explain to your ENT otologists the whole image because what you are saying now is VERY suggestive of a tube dysfunction!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i saw two ent's before and they didn't find anything.
Ok dear, you incist on this that it is not an ENT issue, I can now speak about the failure of the surgery so  !

It is a frequent complication where the teflon did a sliding from the place where it was located by the surgeon. the result is what you described, a temporary relief than symptoms reccur.

To prevent such complication it was advisable to drop a micro drop of bio-glue on the teflon itself to stabilize it fix the whole system before the physiological adhesion. but this method is not universalized, and I would like to stress on the technical  lack in the memory and security of Gardner-Janetta procedure.

Other complication I met once, was an improvement at the level of the hum but a total nontransient deafness.

What do you like to know more? next steps?
What are the chances it could be carotid artery constricting or a stenosis?  I am 30, female, 5'4 and 115lbs.  I have never been tested for cholesterol.  I had a CT-angiogram before my Surgery, but they did not look at my neck .  The other night my husband was sitting next to me in the quiet and he could hear the loud wooshing noise.  I have talked to my GP about an ultrasound of my neck arteries to r/o any stenosis.
corrina
amazing!! do a carotid ultrasound so. I will be waiting for the results
The carotid showed nothing.  However, now I have pain in my left ear.
A related discussion, MVD surgery for TInnitus was started.