Neurosurgery Expert Forum
PV shunt catheter pain

Welcome to the International Neurosurgery forum. This forum is moderated by Dr. Abi Chahine who is affiliated with St. George Hospital in Beirut, Lebanon

PV shunt catheter pain

Hi there,

I have had a VP shunt in since I was 11 days old, am now 26 I haven't had any problems with my shunt since I was 14. I had the chatheter fixed because I was had horrible headaches, and now I have what feels like a lump in or around the catheter that is a little hard and is causing me quite a bit of pain I can't move my neck either way very much. it seems that every day it's getting worse, before this it had felt like the area around my shut was badly bruised that sub sided but the pain at the base of my head where the catheter is located is getting worse. i had x ray's done as a check up 3 yrs ago and then again when the pain started around my shunt... the Dr said everything is fine and that since I'm not having any other symtoms (symptoms) in regards to the shunt not to worry and the pain would go away, but as I said above it has just been getting worse.

Dear, no need to worry for the shunt if it is well functioning unless you are developping that horrible headache wich you remember well.
About the lump, that is probably a small collection of CSF, also no need to worry, but the pain you are describing is not clear wether it is related to an additional dissection of the skin of the scalp or that is the consequence of an inflammation caused by the silk- filaments ! oftenly used to fix the valve.
I would like to know your further taken measures
Dr Nassim