Neurosurgery Expert Forum
Possible fourth surgery?

Welcome to the International Neurosurgery forum. This forum is moderated by Dr. Abi Chahine who is affiliated with St. George Hospital in Beirut, Lebanon

Possible fourth surgery?

I had my third surgery earlier in February of this year.  C5,6,7 anterior cervical discectomy and fusion first in Nov 2005.  C5 and C6 fused, however, C6 and C7 never did.  The bone began to deteriorate around the screws and I needed an additional surgery in April 2007.  Was feeling great for about 6 months (the only period I was pain free in the last 4 1/2 years) and then severe neck pain came back.  Began physical therapy, pain medications, etc.  Finally went to see neurosurgeon in January.  Was going to send me for pain management until he discovered that I not only didn't fuse again, but 3 out of the 4 screws in my neck were broken (due to micromovement).  The surgery in February was about 8 1/2 hours long and I spent almost two weeks in the hospital.  My surgeon decided to use bone from my hip to hopefully get fusion this time, and during surgery had to remove one of my vertebrae (corpectomy)and then inserted my bone into a PEAK.  I wear a bone stimulator 4 hours a day, I have quit smoking, and have done everything I am supposed to do!   My hip pain is finally better and have started pysical therapy.  But my neck - I am in severe pain all the time.  I can't stay in one position for too long and sleeping is almost near impossible (unless drug induced)!  I just heard back from the doctor this morning and after reviewing my last three xrays and latest ct scan, he informed me that the graft is migrating into the inferior bone below.  He is now talking about doing a posterior surgery???    
sorry for the late answer.
Yes you can do a posterior approach but you should know that many many patients still have pain after such surgery. this pain respond well to muscle relaxants