Neurosurgery Expert Forum
Surgical Void in Spinal Cord?

Welcome to the International Neurosurgery forum. This forum is moderated by Dr. Abi Chahine who is affiliated with St. George Hospital in Beirut, Lebanon

Surgical Void in Spinal Cord?

Greetings Sir:
About 18 months ago I was diagnosed with an intramedullary hemangioblastoma.  Secondary to this I had an eccentric syrinx ranging in diameter from 2mm to 9mm, that started at C3/4 and continued to T6/7 where the tumor was.  After tumor removal, the majority of the syrinx collapsed, except for the T6/7 area where the syrinx is 2-3 mm in diameter and 14-15 mm in length.  The latest MRI reports states that the area must now be considered a surgical void instead of a syrinx. Via google I can find nothing regarding a "surgical void" in the spinal cord.  Has anyone ever heard of this?  Or it's implications?  I currently suffer typical syringomyelia symptoms that have not improved post surgery.
Hello dear Gonzo,
The definition of a Syrinx is an enlargement of the central spinal canal. So when the tumor was removed from inside the cord [near the spinal canal] it left a space similar to a syrinx and could be named SURGICAL VOID.
This post operative void will have a long duration remodeling process, years in general, during which it may or may not decrease in volume. The point is not to worry about anymore and to stop doing more control imaginary studies, because the removed tumor was just a very benign form of tumors.
Good luck