Neurosurgery Expert Forum
VP shunt
About This Forum:

Welcome to the International Neurosurgery forum. This forum is moderated by Dr. Abi Chahine who is affiliated with St. George Hospital in Beirut, Lebanon

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

VP shunt

i have pt 5 months old male
he had congenital hydrocephalus , Vp shunt was inserted but after one month shunt was obstructed another VP shunt inserted and same problem occured , now pt had infection EVD was inserted and CSF taken many time for analysis with persist high protien more than 1030 and cell > 45 % pt , interventricular gentamycin injected interventricular many times now last resut almost the same , pt still on EVD , afebrile with recurrent attacks of vomiting with no fits . blood culture -ve , pt was seen may time and evaluated by pediatrcian .
please any one help me to give the pt the best management .
***@**** , saudi arabia
Related Discussions
623823_tn?1357420257
sA, Dr Nassim Abi Chahine, Lebanon

Dear colleague, we frequently meet metabolic disease in our practice, it is not easy to differentiate between them and a residue of a previous meningitis/ependymitis.. In this case I prefer to insert a large bore valve (adult) without any accessories (like antisyphone..) after a longer period of external ventricular derivation؛‎ t.he period should be well weighted before a new infection emerge, then an internalisation of the shunt should be termination under cover of effective antibioticotherapy.
This case is not too bad, it seems to have a solution.
For now let the baby just take the type of milk given to him before the age of 4 months until the primary cause of hydrocephalus is found.

Dear colleague Medhelp is not tailored for profound chating conversation, i will try to google out your adress, thank you for your help.
Dr Nassim
Medhelp
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank