Neurosurgery Expert Forum
high pain tolerance

Welcome to the International Neurosurgery forum. This forum is moderated by Dr. Abi Chahine who is affiliated with St. George Hospital in Beirut, Lebanon

high pain tolerance

What can cause a person to have a high tolerance to pain, to the point that they do not know when they are seriously hurt?  My son when he was younger was so dehydrated that his organs where shutting down and I got him to the hospital in time.  However, we recently found out that when he was 16, (he is now 24) his jaw was broken and set wrong.  He should have been in extreme pain, but all he said to us at the time was that he was his a fight and his lip was busted.  He apparently took a brick to the face.  Now his jaw repaired itself wrong and he may require major surgery.  Is there a condition, which causes a person to have a high pain tolerance?  What do we do?
misskitty817 :

He feels pain, but in some circumstances people tolerate a higher dose of pain.
your son is within normal limits
with excercises he can improve more and more his ability to support pain

johnilahai :

stop coffee and all other substances

whenever the phone rings you will wake up with the heart trumbling and beating faster is totally normal
These days I can hardly write good essays. When ever I get to the computer or I take my books to write I suddenly feel confused and depressed. Whenever this happens I feel like I dont count. I make too much mistakes in my writings. Most annoying of all is that, when I make mistakes I regret and could hardly sleep, as it will hurt my feeling for a long time.

Moreover, I am having shape pain on the laft upper part of my chest: above my nipple. For two months now my left hand is too heavy. I have done several tests and they all seem to suggest that I must have strained my hand through the constant setting position when I am on the computer. This chest pain passes through my chest to my back.

I also have pain around my eyes (including the back side of my eyes. It sometimes makes me feel bad).

I must confess that for the past three months I have not been doing any form of exercise. I will wake up, eat and watch TV. If I am not watching TV, I will be on the computer, and if I am not on the computer I am sleeping. To the point that I have gain more weight.

Finally, whenever the phone rings when I am sleeping, I will wake up with my heart trumbling and beating faster that ever.