Neurosurgery Expert Forum
mri results

Welcome to the International Neurosurgery forum. This forum is moderated by Dr. Abi Chahine who is affiliated with St. George Hospital in Beirut, Lebanon

mri results

for about a month i have had a pain in my neck. a couple days ago i woke up and i had lost feeling in my left arm and my thumb and first two fingers. i have been in extreme pain for the last couple days. i have started to get back the feeling in my fingers but not in my thumb. i have no feeling from my thumb and a strip about an inch wide that runs up and around my arm to my shoulder which i seem to have no feeling at all in my shoulder on the outside of my arm. i had an mri done and findings are as follows. the cervical intervertebral discs appear normal with exception of notable left paracentral c4-5 disc protrusion producing slight effacement of the anterior cervical subarachnoid space. can you explain this in a way i can understand it? and is it normal to have this pain and loss of feeling? i have an appointment next week with a neurosurgeon but i would like to get an idea what is going on before i drive myself crazy worrying about this. thank you for any information you can give me about this. jim
Jim,
the nerve responsable about the sensitive innervation of your thumb is compressed, it most probably need to be liberated.
I am a 31 year old woman and half of my tongue is numb....not completly but enough that is it anyoning.

I saw my primary and she did some office exams...llike touch your nose then my finger...I wasnt able to touch her finger correctly with my right hand.... when standing completly still with my eyes close....I began to slowly lean over to the right side and I did not notice it until I was off balance.u know stuff like that and on the right side of my body is different then the other.

I feel like I have a extra layer of skin on the right side so although my right side is not numb it is different.  My MD said that she doesnt think its bells palsy (which I had about 5 1/2 years ago) So I am a worried. She did mention aneruisum and MS. I am very worried.... I would perfer bells pasly over anything else. My MD has order an ekg, blood work, MRI for my head, neck and brain and an echocardiogram. Anything else you would recommend??

Please respond with your medical thoughts on what you think.
A related discussion, Thumb nerves was started.