685?1277859592
News from the past to the future to share and discuss User Group
Fugitive to be first drone target on US soil?
About This Group:

Do you have any kind of news--old or new or growing old that you want to share? Do you want to discuss issues that are of concern in the news? Do you want to share a perspective on how things are going in our Country, another country? This group is for covering the whole wide world because everyone is equally important whether we agree or disagree with their beliefs. The news can include information you want to share that you consider "news" worthy. If we do quote a news source, let's try to use a legitimate one. No extreme, shock journalism please.

Founded by Dazon50 on June 29, 2010
52 members

Fugitive alleged LAPD-killer is first drone target on U.S. soil

18 hrs ago It's official:

The drone war has come home to America. Wanted fugitive Christopher Dorner, the homicidal former cop currently at war with the LAPD, has become the first known human target for airborne drones on U.S. soil. Their use was confirmed by Customs and Border Patrol spokesman Ralph DeSio, who revealed the government's fear that Dorner will make a dash for the Mexican border. The fugitive has already killed three people, according to police, and has a $1 million bounty on his head. Dorner, who has military training, is believed to be hiding in the wilderness of California's San Bernardino Mountains, where locating him without air support may be all but impossible.

http://now.msn.com/christopher-dorner-is-first-drone-target-on-us-soil

I don't know how accurate this info is...I don't see it on any of the major media sources yet...but let me just say that IF indeed it's true...I have a REALLY big problem with this.  BIG BIG BIG.  Apparently, they are classifying him as a domestic terrorist (which is debateable), which is why this would be given a green light.

What happened to the due process?  Trying a criminal...where are his rights to a fair trial...we're just going straight to the punishment phase?  There are millions of arguments one could raise on both sides...but I just think IF this is indeed true...we're entering so pretty dangerous and scary territory in this country.  I understand hes targeting law enforcement...I get it...but by their own definition in the document released as to when it would be appropriate to take out a terrorist American citizen with a drone...this doesn't match up.  Not even close.

Meanwhile,...ironically...how many people who have been convicted of much more henious crimes are sitting on death rows all over this country...yet we refuse to actually put these people to death and carry out their sentence?  Shouldn't we do that first...before going after someone with a DRONE who hasn't been able to take advantage of our justice system the way it's set up???

Double yeesh.

I think it's just so wrong.  
but I just think IF this is indeed true...we're entering so pretty dangerous and scary territory in this country.
I agree,
this sounds like BIG BROTHER is here....  In this case it may be that the drone would be used for surveillance but man that's heavy duty...
I kind of think he gave up the right to the justice system when he went on the run.  I personally have no problem hunting him down at this point.  He's dangerous and yes, I believe terrorizing people that live in that area by being a fugitive there.  If I lived there----  I'd want him found as soon as possible and by whatever means.  

He doesn't want to be taken out this way----  he turns himself in.  Then he can have his trial.  But otherwise, I think he CHOSE to give up the judicial system.

Just my opinion.  :>)
this is amazing video from a drone that gives an idea of capabilities...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13BahrdkMU8&feature=player_embedded
Again, I actually have no problem at all with their using it on this dude.  It sounds justified by his own behavior.  
Again, I actually have no problem at all with their using it on this dude.  It sounds justified by his own behavior.   .

I don't disagree with that....but how many dangerous and violent criminals go on the run?  Technically, we would have to give the green light to hunt them down and kill them.  

Just playing devil's advocate here...but what if this guy is being set up?  I don't personally believe that, but it isn't impossible.  It's not like it's hard to make a FB page, people do it all the time.  

That's what I don't like about this...you're taking away the justice system aspect and it's not right.  The justice system is supposed to sort out the details, not just hunt someone down and kill them with a drone (which in itself is disturbing...that they would be okay using those on our soil).

I just don't think it's right...there are ALL kinds of dangerous criminals and fugitives...we have a system in place to deal with them...and that's not typically sending a drone out to kill them.  I just think it's so wrong.  I think it's wrong that big brother can choose to bypass the justice system and due process...which every American citizen is entitled to.  Innocent until proven guilty.
If he is being set up, then he shouldn't run.  Running doesn't solve anything and is a crime.  

I think the one who chose to bypass the justice system is someone like Dorner and that should have a zero tolerance policy.  Sure might put the kabash on these folks running.

Due process can't happen while he is hiding out in the woods anyway.  HE is making the choice to deny his day in court.  I don't think one should be able to run and then be treated like they are a run of the mill defendent in a court case.  It's a big deal to run from law enforcement.  

I personally feel that you give up your rights when you become a fugitive.  
I totally understand what you're saying, but if they're going to start taking out fugitives with drones, there should be some pretty clear guidelines about how, what, when, where...etc.  The issue I have is...until now...it didn't matter whether a person went on the lam, or otherwise, they still were entitiled to their day in court...that's paramount to having a fair way to try someone and punish them.

I mean, if just the fact that he's evading authorities is enough reason to send a drone after him to kill him...there will be a long list of other criminals that should be targeted?  Where does it end?  We would have to literally revamp our entire justice system to make this okay, IMO.

I think he's a bad guy, and I have a feeling he's going to end up dead in some fashion anyway...but I just think, the way our rights are set up, it's just so wrong..IMO
And to add....to use a drone for surveillance I don't have an issue with.  It's a bit over the top, but that's fine.  But to use it to assasinate him...there's where I have a problem with it.

REALLY hope if they do...no one gets caught in the crossfire.  If they do this...I suspect there will be some serious lawsuits as a result.
The more I think about it, the more I don't care what happens to this guy.  I still believe he should have a day in court but... we try the guy, he gets to appeal and we go through that almost endless cycle.  Oh, then get to house, feed and care for the guy until he is put to death.  Too much.

But by running and saying he is giving up his rights, I think is not on mark.  Any criminal that doesn't immediately turn him/herself in right after the crime is officially on the run, no?  What this guy did is messed up and he kind of is terrorizing communities where hes been or thought to have been, but the same can be said for any number of other criminals.  Rapists, bank robbers, home invasion.... all of that can certainly be considered "domestic terrorism".

With that said, we've probably got thousands of "domestic terrorists" in the clink somewhere in this nation who have had their rights kept intact and got their day in court.... instead of being "fried" they sit in the pokey and chew up tax payer dollars.  
What about gangsters?  Mobsters?  Serial killers?  I would say they would be terrorists too!  Especially mobsters who specifically target law enforcement agents all the time.  A LOT of them go on the run too...I just think it's dangerous territory...where does it start and end?  Is it okay to seek this approach for any dangerous criminal?

I too could really care less what happens to him, that isn't my issue here...and if he gets taken out because he's deemed to be a threat while they are trying to capture him...then so be it...but to basically put a hit out on him?  That's the part I don't agree with.

There's probably a lot to this story that is convoluted.  I will say, until I hear someone official, on the big media outlets saying they have actually authorized an assasination...I'm taking it with a grain of salt.  I seriously cannot imagine law enforcement going that far.  

If they do, this is why the list of guidelines that was recently released for killing americans deemed to be terrorists didn't sit well with me.  Too much that is not spelled out...there's a lot of potential power in that list of guidelines.  There doesn't have to be any solid "proof" or intelligence...and they don't have to answer to their decisions.  Kind of scary.
melimeli commented on melimeli's status
melimeli Lost 10 lbs so far this sum... Comment
nursegirl6572 commented on tha godhead