685?1277859592
News from the past to the future to share and discuss User Group
Interesting prediction on Obamacare
About This Group:

Do you have any kind of news--old or new or growing old that you want to share? Do you want to discuss issues that are of concern in the news? Do you want to share a perspective on how things are going in our Country, another country? This group is for covering the whole wide world because everyone is equally important whether we agree or disagree with their beliefs. The news can include information you want to share that you consider "news" worthy. If we do quote a news source, let's try to use a legitimate one. No extreme, shock journalism please.

Founded by Dazon50 on June 29, 2010
52 members

Interesting prediction on Obamacare

Popeyes Resturants is expecting employees to voluntarily try to go part time to avoid costs associated with Obamacare.  Boo Obamacare:
Popeyes, a popular fast food chain, expects some of its employees to voluntarily cut their own hours in order to try to sidestep a fee under the Affordable Care Act, but doing so would not let workers avoid that cost.

The health care law, known as Obamacare, will require Americans to obtain health insurance or else pay a penalty (unless they qualify for an exemption). Ralph Bower, Popeyes' U.S. president, told The Huffington Post on Friday that he expected some workers to choose to work part-time because he thought the mandate to obtain health insurance applied only to full-time workers. In fact, the mandate applies to all Americans, a fact Bower later acknowledged.

"Our fear is that some of our employees that are full-time employees will cut back on their hours so that they won't be subject to [the mandate]," Bower said in an interview. "My understanding is that if you're working part-time, then you're not mandated to buy the insurance. ... If you're not a full-time employee, then you don't fall under the mandate."

Bower later corrected himself in a statement to HuffPost, but did not walk back his prediction that some Popeyes employees may choose to work part-time in response to Obamacare.

"I was mistaken in my earlier statement that only full-time employees would be subject to the mandate. In fact, everyone is required to have health care," he said. "The company would be cautious about doing anything that would cause our full-time employees to cut back their hours, but we will not know until 2014 if anything in the law would make that happen."

Larry Levitt, senior vice president at the Kaiser Family Foundation, told HuffPost Friday that Bower's reasoning "seems quite confused."

"There's no difference between working full-time or part-time in terms of how the individual mandate works," Levitt said. "I can't see any advantage from a health insurance perspective of someone working part-time."

Bower said he expects many Popeyes employees to choose to pay the penalty for forgoing health insurance, noting that the Obamacare fine for not having coverage will be only $95 next year. He said only about 5 percent of Popeyes workers have signed up for a high-deductible health insurance plan offered by the company that costs $130 per year.

In addition to the mandate for individuals, the health care law will require midsize and big employers -- like Popeyes -- to pay penalties if they do not offer affordable health insurance to full-time employees. Some employers, including Wendy's and Taco Bell franchisees, have forced employees to work fewer hours in order to avoid offering them affordable health insurance.

Bower emphasized to HuffPost that Popeyes does not plan to cut any employees' hours in response to Obamacare.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/29/popeyes-obamacare_n_2978850.html
1 Comment
I heard a story recently that kind of runs in line of this story.  A friend was let go from a position he held with a company for about 6 years.  His boss told him that he "could not afford any of the costs that the health care legislation was going to require of him" and that he was "going to run a skeleton crew until the insurance legislation runs him into the ground and forces him out of business."

The kicker was that this friends accountant told him that he needed to do something in the very near future to "be prepared" for "fees" associated with insurance costs....

The more I read about the thing, the more confused I get.  I don't care to get into any drawn out discussion on the subject but I feel there has to be something to the thing with so many people in opposition.  

Oh, by the way... the employer above is a democrat and Obama supporter but this plan has him scared to death.
specialmom commented on nursegirl6572's status
nursegirl6572 "Worrying doesn't take away... Comment
hrsepwrguy https://www.youtube.com/wat... Comment