685?1277859592
News from the past to the future to share and discuss User Group
Washington State to stop Dr's from some Pain Drugs
About This Group:

Do you have any kind of news--old or new or growing old that you want to share? Do you want to discuss issues that are of concern in the news? Do you want to share a perspective on how things are going in our Country, another country? This group is for covering the whole wide world because everyone is equally important whether we agree or disagree with their beliefs. The news can include information you want to share that you consider "news" worthy. If we do quote a news source, let's try to use a legitimate one. No extreme, shock journalism please.

Founded by Dazon50 on June 29, 2010
53 members

With Kalvin's permission, I'm copying his post from the Pain Management Forum.  This is a scary monster for me.  I'm not on the heavy drugs, I'm on Lortab.  But my day may come.  These drugs help so many live a somewhat normal life.  The other options just aren't good.

I'd like government out of my medical care.  I'm a big girl now.  I don't need a nanny to go to the doctor with me.

Article of interest to the Pain Management Community
by Kalvin
, 18 hours ago
I ran across this article last week and I’ve been meaning to get over here and post it, if you guys already know about it and have seen it, I apologize. This article should be of great interest to people in Pain Management and to all of us chronic pain sufferers in general. These regulations could set some very troubling precedents.

“In an unusual move, the Washington State government is developing regulations meant to stop doctors from prescribing higher doses of powerful — and often dangerous — pain killers for patients who are not benefiting from them.”

"Experts in pain treatment and drug abuse prevention say the growing use of long-acting pain killers like OxyContin, fentanyl and methadone has been a crucial factor in a nationwide epidemic of overdose deaths, largely from the abuse of such drugs.Nationwide, fatalities from prescription drug overdoses are the second-leading cause of accidental death behind car accidents and, in some states, are the leading cause, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."

“The effort in Washington is also directed at controlling how doctors use narcotics to treat legitimate pain patients, not at people who illegally obtain the drugs for recreational use. While many patients benefit from pain killers, there is growing evidence from studies, including one in Washington State, that others suffer significant side effects, including lethargy, increased sensitivity to pain and, in the most severe instances, potentially fatal overdoses.”

“The regulations would not affect how narcotics are used to treat patients with cancer or those at the end of life because experts agree that such patients should receive as much pain medication as necessary.”

Source and full article is at http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/29/business/29pain.html
1 Comment
The only reason they have deaths from overdoses is because of a refusal on the part of the medical establishment to prescribe and freely distribute naltrexane, the opiate antidote, which entirely reverses the narcotic effects of an opiate.
specialmom commented on specialmom's status
specialmom Elementary school band con... Comment
melimeli commented on mhv's status
Dec 18