Nutrition Management For Pets Expert Forum
cat food cravings

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Nutritional Management. Questions will be answered by a veterinarian.

cat food cravings

Pepper, My 30 lb. 13" beagle has an insatiable craving for cat food that I serve my 2 cats - I think mostly the seafood varieties.  I have not found a seafood flavored dog food, and I understand there are some ill-effects of my dog consuming cat food.   When the badgering gets intolerable, I "give in" and let her have some.  

Please...Any suggestions, what are the risks, and if she continues to eat cat food, what effect will this have on her weight?  I'd really like to see her lose a few, at the same time.
Thank you !!
Type of Animal
:  
dog
Age of Animal
:  
6 years
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
beagle
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
January 01, 2009
City
:  
sunrise
State/Province
:  
florida
Good news, it's actually worse for cats to have dog food than dogs to have cat food. Cats require taurine in their diet which has actually shown to benefit some dogs.  Taurine is in all cat foods, but not routinely added to dog food.
An insatiable appetite in an overweight pet suggests there could be a metabolic problem underlying.  Seeing your veterinarian for bloodwork including thyroid check would be highly beneficial, though it has no bearing on cat food consumption.  Asking your veterinarian to design a weight loss plan for Pepper will help both of you to keep her on track.  It's always free to visit your vet's office and get a weight!  A weekly to every other week weigh in like Weight Watchers can make visiting your vet's office fun and get the results you're looking for at almost no cost!
As for seafood flavored dog food, a prescription diet great for allergies and hair coat that your veterinarian should have is fish and potato (aka FP), or whitefish and potato, and there's another similar based food.  Although this is a prescription diet, using it as a seafood flavored food will not hurt Pepper.  Not watching calories will hurt Pepper most.