Nutrition Management for Pets Community
GLUCOSAMINE/CHONRIDIN for FLUTD?
About This Community:

This community is for questions and support regarding Nutrition for your pets.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

GLUCOSAMINE/CHONRIDIN for FLUTD?

what are your thoughts on giving glucosamine/chondrotin  supplements to help acidify my cats urine?
He has FLUTD...struvite crystals...found on routine exam with never a blockage.
I've read I can give him 500mg for acute stage 2 weeks, than 250 mg for intermediate stage and 150mg longterm if needed.
the glucosamine for its antinflamatory action and an offensive player.
chondrotin as a offensive.

Do I run the risk of over acidifying his urine and causing oxolate crystals?
Or is this safe to use along with the home made cooked diet of pork loin that I posted about. ???
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
746512_tn?1388811180
I've never heard of glucosamine acidifing urine however I will look into this evening because my cat is on a 250-500mg dose to help with arthritis and the 500mg dose is the recommendation on the bottle.

I would try a cranberry extract first because it targets the urinary system directly and is very successful at helping urinary health. Fish oil based omega 3 supplements are also a better anti-inflammatory that will also strengthen the immune system (stones can have a bacterial infection aspect to them).
Blank
874521_tn?1375890587
Hi Tammy thx for the reply!!!!!

I maybe wrong on the fact of Cluc/Chon as an acidifier(?) that was MY assumption.

I do know it does have anti inflammatory action and helps build and support/protect the mucosal surface/GAG layer of bladder. and helps with spasms. and
the Chonridoin keeps GAG from breaking down...its more for defense.
thats whats recommended on a holistic site.

I guess I got the idea of it being an acidifier is from someone in the UK who uses it for that purpose, if I understood correctly(?)..its sold under the name Cystaid.

I would be glad if it didn't cause acidity...I don't want to run the risk of over acidifing.

I do NOW have him on a homemade diet with lots of water and meat.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Nutrition Management for Pets Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...