Nutrition Management for Pets Community
Need nutritional info for bladder stones
About This Community:

This community is for questions and support regarding Nutrition for your pets.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Need nutritional info for bladder stones

Can anyone in pet health provide SPECIFIC mineral content/limits for struvite stone dissolving, while preventing the formation of calcium oxalate stones?  I know the commercial OS diets are recommended by vets, but I prefer to cook my own pet food.  I have one dietary resource book but it doesnt include the upper/lower limits for therapeutic bladder stone treatment.  I am hoping to find a comprehensive nutritional source so I can create my own recipes from ingredients to meet the safe limits in mineral content. Hope someone can help.

Here are some other thoughts/info I have learned related to bladder stones.  Bladder stones can be struvite (can be dissolved by strict diet) or calcium oxalate cant be dissolved.  MALE pets are not likely to be successful passing these stones (calcium oxalate) as the urethrea is TOO SMALL!  Surgery is the only option, as this problem can instantly become life threatening.  DIET MUST BE CHANGED PERMANENTLY to prevent future episodes!!!!!  I found a book to be helpful, Home-Prepared Dog & Cat Diets by Donald R. Strombeck DVM, PhD. This book includes health conditions and diets to help. Please note, bladder stones can be either type or a combination of both types.  Vets may prefer to use OS diets to try and dissolve struvite stones, while maintaining an environment that doesnt contribute to calium oxalate stone formation. Please be informed when choosing a diet to help your pet.

This discussion is related to UTI's.