Nutrition Management for Pets Community
What Is The Healthier Food for A Feline Male Cat?

This community is for questions and support regarding Nutrition for your pets.

I have a 11 year old cat and I am realizing that as he gets older (like humans) we have to eat healthy.  I normally buy him commercial cat food off the shelf.

I am concerned about the ingredients that are used to make commerical cat food.  Maybe I should start thinking about quality and nutritional food for my cat.  I lost a cat last September and another in February.  One had liver failure and the other had arthritis and thyroid disease.

I want to keep my cat (Simba) as healthy as possible.  They don't really tell you whats in the food.  I was hoping that you may have a suggestion for WET AND DRY FOOD as he eats both.

I purchase Friskies and Pro Plan (dry food).

I would appreciate any sugestions you may have.
I have two Maine coons, one male/one female, litter mates, 11 years old and my vet recently recommended Wellness Healthy Weight, but neither one would eat it.  I had been feeding them Science Diet for senior cats, but it's no longer a healthy cat food.   Nutro Natural Choice Complete Care was another recommended dry food and they love it. Buy the small size bags until you know yours will eat the food. Good luck.
Glad to know that someone is in a smiliar situation.  I am writing down the Nutro Natural Choice Complete Care.  I will go to my pet store and pick up a small bag.  Got to start somewhere and it seems your choices are great.

I will post of my cat is fond of them.  How did you compare which one was better.  

I did not know that Science Diet for senior cats was no longer a healthy cat food.  My goodness, they sell them at my Vet.
Hi, I have found an excellent food avail for junior and senior pets.
Its made by NATURA and labeled EVO..............its GRAIN FREE and a very healthy diet, expensive but I find my cats eat far less when on a good quality food....I had to drive 300miles 2-3x a yr into a major city to buy this until I talked my local pet store into offering if and now they sell tons
Thanks for the heads up on NATURA and labeled EVO.  Good to hear it's grain free also.
Will check it out at my pet store.
I just wanted to give you the heads up on this article I found concerning Nutro Natural Choice pet food.

Here's the link: (dated July 31, 2009)
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/nutro.html

Is this the food you give to your pets.

I am going to do more research on Nutro Natural Choice.
He's where it tells you of a recall of 11 countires of Nutro Natural Choice

------ HEADLINES  --------

NUTRO Recalls Dry Cat Food Sold in 11 Countries

Read more:
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2009/05/nutro_foia05.html

May 21, 2009
Nutro Products has announced a voluntary recall of select varieties of NUTRO® NATURAL CHOICE® COMPLETE CARE® Dry Cat Foods and NUTRO® MAX® Cat Dry Foods with “Best If Used By Dates” between May 12, 2010 and August 22, 2010. The cat food is being voluntarily recalled in the United States and ten additional countries. This recall is due to incorrect levels of zinc and potassium in our finished product resulting from a production error by a US-based premix supplier.

Read more:
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/recalls04/2009/nutro_cat_food.html

There are lots of good food.  You just have to find one that your cat does well on.  My two cats (a 3 year old and a 18 year old) are on a combination of acana/orijen (I move around between the flavours) and go natural.  Personally I love the go natural since it is the one my cats do the best on, however this may not be the one for your cat.

Go natural, acana, orijen, wellness, horizon, wellness, solid gold, now, evo, innova, natural balance and eagle pack holistic are all good food.  

All the wet food in those brands are good (acana/orijen don't have wet food at this point) plus merrick are awesome.  

Try keeping one type of food the same (dry or wet doesn't matter) and plan around with the other to find flavours or brands they like the best.  This way you aren't constantly changing food and irritating the  digestive system.  

It took me 5 months to find go natural that both cats liked and did well on.  When we got the kitten he reacted to wellness that my other cat was doing amazing on.  They both liked the eagle pack food but my older girl didn't do very good on it.  
Thank you for all your great information.  18 years old your other cat. Wow! Really living a good and healthy life.  I would love to try the foods you have recommended, but I don't think we have those brands in Canada.

It doesn't ring a bell.  I took note just in case when I go to the pet store I can see if they have them there.

Glad to meet you and glad that your cats are loving their life.
Breeders are recomending Felidae for cats and canidae for dogs. I have both. They love the dry but not the wet. I can only find it in feed stores. Vets in our are are also starting to recommend this food. It is supposed to be far superior than any other brand.
Actually all of those are in Canada, I live in Calgary, AB.

Acana/Orijen is made in Alberta
Horizon is made in Saskatachewan
Go natural/Now is made in BC

So Canadian have made made good food.  

to jerlin: I have only looked at the Canidae dog food but it is about the same quality as the other foods I recommended so defintely a good food.  I love to hear that there are some good vets out there that actually make time to research the animal food industry.  (Very unlike most of the vets I have talked too)
yes avail. in Canada, I live in Sask. Tammy has given you very acurate info!
My 5 yr old when I got him he was on Nutro brand kitten food and liked it..than the manuf. changed some ingredient and he stopped eating...and I tried EVERYTHING I could by at the Vets and at our local Pet Store...he would NOT even try, just smell and walk away, he lived on milk and chicken breasts for 5 months, finally my vet did some research(so did I) and we together decided he maybe sensitive to some of the ingredients in these foods and I should try something with less chemicals and grain free.
I had a hard time finding these locally but did in a larger city.
The Natura brand Innova/Evo...he took too right away!! and it is grain free thats when we decided he must be sensitive to the grain in other foods(or an additive to the grain)
Orijen/Acana/Wellness are also natural products Like Tammy said. I don't know of the other foods mentioned but sounds like she has done research into these as well....It may take awhile for your cat to take to a new food especially one with less unatural flavor, like us going from donuts to broccoli but mix a little at a time to cats old food and keep reducing the old until he/she is eating it alone.
good luck its worth the hunt.
Oh if you can't find these brands locally, just look up the manuf. online and they will tell you where you can buy In Canada or they will even ship to you, expensive shipping but an alternative.
Thank you all for your input and types of cat food.  I will check on-line and at my Vet Store.  If I don't find it locally I will order off the Internet.

You guys/gals have been so supported and I want to thank you; and so does my cat.  I know I will find something great because of your input.

I am glad that I posted here.

Have a great day all.
how did u make out with getting one of these foods?
and if so how did kitties take to the new food?
I chose the NATURA and labelled EVO.  They were nice enough to give me a sample to try.  He loved it.  I went back and bought a big bag.  I am so happy that I am thinking of his health and that he loves the product.

With all your suggestions, we cat smiles back at you! :)
Oh I'm so glad that you were successful in finding a good quality food..it takes a little searching but so worth it in the end, for the cats and for your peace of mind too.
both my cats love the EVO and have been on it for 3 yrs now.
I keep telling my Vet abt it but they always have the excuse, 'well we have our suppliers and we don't like to change that'...that to me seems pretty close minded.
recently had to put one of mine on a 'duck' diet as he appears to be allergic to poultry so will look to see if INNOVA also has this.
take care
Thanks.  I hope that you find a product that is suitable to your little one.  I know it takes a while to find a good product.  I just know you will be successful.

Thanks again for all your help.