Nutrition Community
healthy living

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

healthy living

even if I don't have celiac, can I improve my health by eating gluten free food?
Many studies have been done on this and you may get answers from different people, each having there own oppinion. But as a nurse, I can tell you, that gluten is an important part of the normal diet containing protein. If you are able to eat gluten, there are clinically no benefits your system will get from eating a gluten-free diet, despite what some may think. Trully, If there were clinical studies that proved the benefit of these diets, it would be all over the news and in the medical textbooks. But diets today are based on personal beleif, and if you beleive this is healthier for your body, then go for it! Good luck and best wishes.

Sara RN
I agree, there are conflicting studies on it. The best thing you can do is go gluten free for a few months and see how you feel. If you feel better off gluten than it is probably a good choice for you. The best person to answer would likely be a naturopath. When I saw mine she suggested a gluten and casein free diet from the start.
Share What Diabetes Topics Matter to You — $50 Gift Card!
Start by taking this 1-2 minute survey on diabetes information and advice that will help us make MedHelp more valuable to you.

If we’d like to interview you, we’ll reach out via e-mail. Those selected will receive a $50 Amazon gift card for their participation.
Track your weight over time