Nutrition Community
18-month-old won't eat ANY new foods
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

18-month-old won't eat ANY new foods

My 18-month-old refuses to eat any new foods at all, and has begun to refuse foods that she previously would eat.  My question basically is whether or not we should be concerned about long-term consequences of her eating habits.  The following is a list of foods that she will eat:  Heinz pablum (trying to make sure she gets some iron), toddler biscuits, arrowroots, crackers, bread/toast, Cheerios (dry only), whole wheat rice cakes (will eat rarely), applesauce, jarred pasta or paella (Stage 3 baby food).  She will drink whole milk, apple juice and water.  She will eat NOTHING else.

We have continued to just re-introduce new foods to her, and have tried not to make power struggles out of trying new foods (so that it won't become an averse experience).  We have also tried putting "our foot down" and giving her only "bigger people" food, and if she won't eat it, then she goes hungry (logic being if she gets hungry enough she will try new foods).  The result was that she didn't eat anything for several days (other than drinking milk and a couple of toddler biscuits or crackers at snack time).

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Tags: foods, food, eats, eat, Eating, help, toddler