Nutrition Community
21 Months old, barely eats, can't get her off the Bottle

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

I have a 21 month old who insists on drinking her milk from a bottle still (mostly during bedtime, but at least six full bottles a day). I have a 6 month old and cant allow her to be disturbed because the other one is screaming for her bottle at night. She barely eats most days and when she does insists on snacking on chips or something equally as unhealthy. Ive tried everything, and our pediatrician says I should just let her eat whatever she wants, but she's not sleeping well, and her (sorry this is gross) stool is pale yellow and I've always heard that was a sign of malnutrition. I give her childrens vitamins every day and Pediasure only serves to make her gag and throw up. The gagging and throwing up thing is just recent and she does it alot more frequently, especially when i try to put food in her mouth.She has energy, but like I said she's really difficult to put to sleep all of a sudden and went from sleeping at 7:30 to not falling asleep til almost midnight, and same with her naptime. What am I doing wrong??
With the sleeping, dont give her a nap. Getting her off the bottle, you have to suck it up (sorry to be harsh) and let her scream. Put your 6 month old in the room with you until she stops screaming. Dont give her a bottle at all. Let her know if she wants a drink, she has to use the sippy cup or whatever u are tryin to get her to use. When it comes to the eating, what all does she eat??? My daughter (now 5yrs old) was the same way. for 2 1/2yrs would only eat chicken nuggets, french fries, ramen noodles, peanutbutter&jelly, cereal & junk food. But 1 1/2yrs ago she slowly started tryin new things. I rewarded her everytime she tried something new. Do a reward system that will work for u. Also dont give her a drink first thing when she wakes, give her food. What she does eat, find the healthiest. I know its hard. Just tough it out and stay calm. It wont happen over night.
I AGREE MY DAUGHTER IS 3 ABOUT TO BE 4 SEPT 20TH, 2009 AND SHE IS EATING SAME EXACT THINGS, B4 SHE TURNED 3 SHE WOULDNT EAT FOR DAYS I TOLD HER PEDIATRICIAN AND SHE SAID LET HER EAT WHEN SHE WANTS TO.. I THOUGHT SHE WAS GONNA STARVE TO DEATH, AND ON THE BOTTLE SITUATION, I HAD TO DO SAME THING.. LET HER SCREAM  SHE IS 4 ALMOST AND IVE ONLY GIVING HER 2 SPANKINGS IN HER ENTIRE LIFE, CAUSE I DONT WANT HER TO SCREAM.. SO AS U CAN TELL THE BOTTLE TRICK WASNT AS HARD,  IT WORKED.. SO YEAH U ARE CORRECT, eat chicken nuggets, french fries, ramen noodles, peanutbutter&jelly, cereal & junk food