Nutrition Community
3 year old picking at scabs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

3 year old picking at scabs

my 3 year old daughter started about 1 month ago scratching just mosquito bites until they scabbed, now i noticed that she has been scratching at the scabs to where it bleeds and wont heal the scab and makes it worse..she says it itches thats why she picks them..at first she was scratching in front of me, now she is trying to hide the picking of the scabs when i look at her. when i dont hear her i know shes in private picking at scabs..when she wakes up in the morning she immediately starts the picking of the scabs. i told her that it hurts me when she picks at the scabs and i think that is why she now picks them when my back is turned. i am at a loss and dont know what to do for her please help...
You are listening to your daughter, but you are not hearing her.  You said yourself that she is telling you that the bites still itch.  Mosquito and other bites can leave a stinger in the skin.  If this isn't removed the bite will continue to itch as long as the stinger is putting poison into the skin.  The scab is just in the way of getting to the itch.  It doesn't matter what the age, if you have an itch that feels GREAT to scratch (sometimes it's better than sex), one will scratch until long after the skin is gone.  Try using something on the bites that will take care of the itch and she will stop scratching.  Rubbing alcohol works well, but will sting on an open wound.  There are over the counter creams as well as prescription creams.  Talk to the MD for suggestions and recommendations.  Take care of the itch and she will stop picking at the scabs.  good luck