Addicted to Match Heads
Hi guys I am so happy that I found this forum. I am one of those people that craves strong scents, rubbing alcohol, gasolene, nail polish remover, acetone, nail polish, just some of the common ones.. But my major concern is eating match heads....I even have a favorite brand. I seem to eat abut 20-30 every day and I mean kitchen matches...It has been a problem throughout my childhood but I cannot seem to get rid of it. Does anyone have the same issue? Or am I just weird?
These are all toxic substances, so I think it's time for the old therapist.  They also have in common sulphur and phosphorous; some people with mineral deficiencies do some strange things.  Might want to see a holistic nutritionist and see what you're missing.
I too am addicted to eating matches. I thought it was the most disgusting thing and I'm worried it will make me sick. I also eat about 30 a day. Why is this? The only way I have found to curve this is to eat salt and lemon juice. I just helps a little but not enough to stop.
lisa i have the same problem i also have a favorite brand and i buy them by the box once a week. my mouth water for them non stop but i eat the entire box within 3 days
Hi Lisa I'm Amanda from South Africa i'm also edicted to matches aswell and I like to eat the Lion brand.  It started when I was 13 and now im 20 my mom always say I'll be sick with cancer, it scares me but not enough to make me quit. I don't know how to!!! I eat a box in two days and sometimes I finish the whole box in one DAY!!!
What you have is called pica or pika. It has many causes. An appetite for a certain mineral, i.e.; matches, could be due to an iron deficiency. It could be caused by celiac disease. It could be an enzyme deficiency. Another cause is OCD or obsessive compulsive disorder. Finally, pregnancy causes pica.
Matches taste great because they have essential vitamins and minerals that the body needs to thwart off ticks and mosquitoes. I for one will continue to eat my occasional box of matches regardless of what people say.

Cheers
I love you all...i pray for the day where we can all meet and have lovely jubbly match sticks
ITS NORMAL!
I'M NORMAL!
i looooooove you guys xxxxxxxx
I appreciate all the comments posted regarding nutritional deficiencies.  Many 'strange' eating habits are due to vitamin and mineral imbalances.  Going to the doctor and having blood work done is a great way to start.

This is an old practice that many military people pass on to each other.  So it is not just a habit you all picked up, but something that is recommended as a method to deter mosquitoes and other bugs from biting.

Regardless it is not a healthy thing to do.  There are toxins in matchsticks, not just in the portion that ignites, but in the wood or cardboard as well which has chemical treatments as well.  These chemicals cause damage to the internal organs, especially the liver, even when not ingested.  Another reason to seek medical help so damage can be determined, and course of recovery can be planned out.

Anyone that suggests taking one unhealthy practice and replacing it with other chemicals/drugs is not providing anything constructive.  Toxins come in all forms, and it is better to seek professional help and direction to find healthy and constructive solutions.

Good luck to all of you and know that you are not that unusual.  Most of us have habits but just need to trade unhealthy ones for healthier ones.  ;)
I agree that a nutritional deficiency is very possibly the cause. Match stick tops are a somewhat common thing for people with Pica to eat as a result of nutritional deficiencies. Blood work to see if there are nutritional deficiencies is the best first step. If you don't have them, it's possible that as a kid you had nutritional deficiencies and that now match stick tops are such a habit it's hard to break. In that case, it's a good idea to seek behavioral counseling.
Iam a matches eater to I love the lion brand and am so addicted to it. I can eat up2 2boxes a day. I really want to stop I love the strong smells of petrol nail polish remover etc how do I stop iam a smoker as well now were from here?
I also am addicted to eating matches. Good side...I work in an environment where boxes of matches can be acquired so for over 10 years I fed my habit with no problem...Bad side...the last 2 years I suffer with stomach problems. Constantly throwing up, sometimes I cant even keep food down. And most embarrassing of all...your bowels stop functioning normally, yeap...you can poop on yourself. The matches can and will totally turn ur stomach inside out...it no longer functions normally.
I do not currently have a taste for matches, but I did when I was little.  I never understood why I would do that.  I can vividly remember the taste and enjoying it.  I'm kinda glad to see that I was not alone, but I hope that the people dealing with it still, as adults, get help to stop this habit that can be really bad for you.  Thank you for posting about this.  I now know that I was most likely trying to replenish something that I was lacking nutritionally.
hey lisa im Mandisa from South Africa.u not weird i have the same issue i started eating match heads from a very early age im now 23 and its difficult to stop i buy a box of matches and within an hour its finished. I dnt know how to stop and everyone at home tells me its dangerous its causing harm internally.my family always tell me that i will have cancer but that falls into deaf ears. i enjoy my match sticks and like everyone else i like the lion brand. I also used to eat cigarette ash i stopped that i dnt know how that happened plzzz yall pray for me i know this is not healthy and its ruining my teeth also.
I ate matches when I was little too. I was living in Barbados and would keep a box in a little suitcase. Up in my room I'd take out one match and suck on the head till it got soft. Then I would scrape the match 'meat' off with my teeth and savour the delicious flavour. I thought I was the only person who did this but now I know I am not alone.
my sister and I hv this crazy taste for matches. Whenever I get a pack I'll finish it within a day r two. 3 box I finish in less than 10mins then drink 2glass of water. I just can't stop, its too hard....
No, u r not weird. I live in the caribbean and I thought it was just me and my sis and some pregnant woman crave for it. I can't stop
OMG!  I have the SAME issue and cannot quit.  Except, I eat the burnt matches.  I have been looking for relief.   I thought I'd NEVER FIND SOMEONE struggling with this same issue
Still having the same issue.  I have come back to this post and no one else has commented!  I still need help.  I crave them all the time.  Now I'm wondering if it has something to do with some of the health concerns I have now.  
I ate burnt matches out of the ashtrays when I was a little kid.  The doctor said I was deficient in something dietary.  This was during the late 50s, and my parents were both smokers who used paper matches.  

It went on for years and years.  Finally, I just ate enough of the cigarette ash on the match heads to make it undesirable.  I would suggest going ahead and coating the match head with something undesirable, like ashes?  Anyway, that is what cured me.

I should also mention that I was allergic to citric acid and would have terrible bouts of hives from lemons or kool aid, even though I craved citric acid.  One day, I ate the entire contents of a plastic lemon juice container, and I got hives like no other time in my life.  From then on, I could eat citric acid.

I am very sensitive to drugs (I've had terrible reactions to Anacin?), and have several allergies that usually include skin reactions.  I don't crave match heads anymore.  I will always remember the last nasty ashy one I tried to eat.  

Hope this helps someone.
hii im neha from mauritius im addicted from matches , guys i tell u  in a day i can eat 10 boxes of matches , and i don't knw how to stop , can u plzz guys help me to stop it from eating ........
Am so glad You posted this I thought I was the only one I also have a favorite brand and crave box paper :( to.
Am from Kenya and I have a favorite brand to I started craving match sticks last year and I thought I was alone am so glad for this site.
I too had an addiction to matches, thank God I stopped, I ate matches for 20 years constantly, boxes of them I still love the smell but will not eat them because they are harmful and can affect your internal organs such as sex drive skin bladder and bowels, I still crave them but just fight through it and don't eat them, it's a mind over matter thing, be strong and stop eating them especially to the extent that I did where its addicting and harmful.
I have been eating match heads when I was small but stop now I am 29 have two kids and  guess what I am doing it again but now I have a different way of eating it I put the match sticks on the stove let it burn down then put them on a napkin take the match heads out and eat the body of the match sticks.

But I know something is not right so I am going to get help because I need help. I have two kids to live for.
Hi thank god there's someone else out there I eat a box at least a day if I don't have them I have a real craving where I have to have on it what no matter what time it is and when I don't have my my little irritable I've been doing it since I was 20 years old slow down a little bit but I love them and have to have them pray for me
Im addicted to match heads myself . i absolutely love them think they are making me sick does anyone have problems with thier bowels ??
I light a wooden  match and inhale the fumes..... then I let the wooden match burn down as low as I can.  Once the tip is cool, I eat the lil sulfur ball and then the burnt match stick.  Luv the taste of the salty burnt sulfur & the crunchy burnt wood
May be try a multi mineral (having all the minerals) tablet for a month and then see ?